Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shake up in the insurance biz?

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi
Called around to see what options were there for this year's insurance sacrifice..

Turns out that Adrian Flux is getting out of new business around the club's and non mainstream cars - they quoted me over £2k for the year. When I questioned the sanity of that the guy basically said that they were only really keen on existing renewals and had a pretty high barrier got new customers.

Chris Knott seen to have exited the 4x4 and off-road business entirely. The lady on the phone said that they have changed the underwriters they work with and the new lot won't cover modifications or off-road anymore.

2together seen to be in a similar state. Unable to quote without first having to speak to their underwriters before taking on a modified vehicle. No no to off-road entirely.

Admiral and direct line were both OK with a couple of modifications and the fact that the truck might go off-road, they just won't cover out while it's there. Or issues arising from it being off-road. Not exactly cheap on their price but in the general back park I might be willing to spend.

NFU don't like me being in the London area.

None of the local brokers who worked with makerstudy seem keen to work with them either ( one broker in Tunbridge basically advised to stay away ... )

Bit of a pain, and 3 hours on the phone this morning.

Last edited:
How is yours modified ?

It got sold new with everything on it mate.

Yours is a odd spec.

Dealing with insurance companies can be frustrating if you ask them to consider covering anything that isn't familiar to them, they want easy simple, low risk customers. Or looking at it another way, is this another step to limit vehicle modification?

Have you tried Heritage?

Hi Stu,

It's an import, so ends up in the same boat. The tow bar is the only modification. Literally the only reason I have it is that it reduces insurance price.

Heritage is on my list to call Monday, Scott.

If my cost of cover ever goes up i will be saying third party only please , i really don't know why i pay the premium when i have no doubt they would write it off for a scratch and offer me pittance in compensation in any case .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Re Heritage I had a chat with them at renewal time and they seemed ok, however their policies have some down sides. No claims bonus is not acknowledged by some of their polices, so if you have any on the policy when activated, and you stay with them for 2 years your previously earned NCB will have expired and therefore been lost. This annoys me as you have to pay for insurance to earn NCB, if you don't have any they hammer you on price, if you do have it it may reduce the premium. Insurance companies = expensive irritation!

Another downside is they often required your vehicle to be garaged overnight, now IIRC Geek your 105 fits in your garage, but often that is not physically possible for a large, lifted 4x4. If you wanted to insure a younger standard 4x4 worth X they'd cover it to be parked on the drive, but because it's a modified 4x4 valued at X it needs to be garaged. Hoops and jumping come to mind!

If my cost of cover ever goes up i will be saying third party only please , i really don't know why i pay the premium when i have no doubt they would write it off for a scratch and offer me pittance in compensation in any case .
3rd party is sometimes more expensive as the insurance company may take the view that you don't care about the vehicle that you are driving, and therefore are at greater risk of crashing it.

Not if i just said f^(x off im not paying that .

I insured my trailer with Flux. Realised this week it had run out and they'd not sent me a reminder. Tried ringing them 3 days solid. Not a reply so mailed them in the end. We'll wait and see. Rand 2gether to cancel one policy. Took me two days to get through. They said their phone had been ringing off the hook. Maybe I know why now.

Make a suggestion to them all as to where they should stick their insurance, pack up and move to New Zealand where insurance is entirely optional. I have never insured a vehicle of any kind and am so far in front with premium savings that I could easily write a couple off and still be be in front.

Insurance is nothing more than a rort designed to make somebody else rich. Do they ever pay out?

What if somebody is injured and the cause is blamed on you tb?

Not a problem. We have a government run insurane scheme which everybody pays into as a part of their tax. It matters not whether you are injured at work or play Accident Compenstion and Rehabilition picks up the tab. As a part of this nobody is allowed to take legal action for personal injury.

My renewal is coming up next month. I had a claim last October when I reversed into a parked VW Polo and cracked the plastic grill :oops: and picked 3 points for a speeding ticket while in NI in May and the premium has gone up from just over £200 to just under £400. I had 9+ years NCB but they've knocked it down to 3 yrs due to the claim. This is for FC so I may also be looking at TPFT.

Your still beating me by well over 100 quid with a clean licence and 5 years ncb .

Flux

Hi
Called around to see what options were there for this year's insurance sacrifice..

Turns out that Adrian Flux is getting out of new business around the club's and non mainstream cars - they quoted me over £2k for the year. When I questioned the sanity of that the guy basically said that they were only really keen on existing renewals and had a pretty high barrier got new customers.

Chris Knott seen to have exited the 4x4 and off-road business entirely. The lady on the phone said that they have changed the underwriters they work with and the new lot won't cover modifications or off-road anymore.

2together seen to be in a similar state. Unable to quote without first having to speak to their underwriters before taking on a modified vehicle. No no to off-road entirely.

Admiral and direct line were both OK with a couple of modifications and the fact that the truck might go off-road, they just won't cover out while it's there. Or issues arising from it being off-road. Not exactly cheap on their price but in the general back park I might be willing to spend.

NFU don't like me being in the London area.

None of the local brokers who worked with makerstudy seem keen to work with them either ( one broker in Tunbridge basically advised to stay away ... )

Bit of a pain, and 3 hours on the phone this morning.

Hello Geek just picked up the thread if you are still looking to insure you could give Graham Sykes 01395 255 100 a go i have only been back on the road two years after bike crash in 09 and after quotes up near the grand mark for mods lifted tyres winch and bumper they done a good price also got a crash camera hope you get lucky

Hello Geek just picked up the thread if you are still looking to insure you could give Graham Sykes 01395 255 100 a go i have only been back on the road two years after bike crash in 09 and after quotes up near the grand mark for mods lifted tyres winch and bumper they done a good price also got a crash camera hope you get lucky

Thanks. Will reach out. Its been interesting calling around.

Back