Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shall i paint brand new calipers ?

Shayne

Guru
While i haven't actually checked prices at Bigred i'm thinking to replace with new is comparable in price to refurb when a premium finish is included .

Also just to be sure my UK spec 1997 Amazon 80 is otherwise described as a HDJ80 1HDT is it not ?

I'm thinking the HDJ81 is an import and the 1HDFT is the electric pump version used in the 100 series .

Dumb question maybe but but better safe than lumping myself with 300 odd quids worth of new parts i can't use .

While i haven't actually checked prices at Bigred i'm thinking to replace with new is comparable in price to refurb when a premium finish is included .

Also just to be sure my UK spec 1997 Amazon 80 is otherwise described as a HDJ80 1HDT is it not ?

I'm thinking the HDJ81 is an import and the 1HDFT is the electric pump version used in the 100 series .

Dumb question maybe but but better safe than lumping myself with 300 odd quids worth of new parts i can't use .
You have a 1HD FT Shane.
100 is 1HD FTE.

1 HDT 12v
1 HD FT 24v yours
1 HD FT 24V with intercooler

I thought you had the calipers rebuilt on your 80? Have they not lasted?

What's the issue with them?

Both my 90's got the Bigg Red treatment and both are still good years later though i regret not paying extra for a premium finish so that was the plan for the 80 until idle browsing led me to new calipers which of course come electroplated so there's your premium finish included .

Surely if i paint over new electroplate they will remain rust free for a very long time .

Shayne, I've just rebuilt a spare set for mine and initially tried to paint them with some caliper paint. Disaster. Despite degreasing them and so on, the paint just fish-eyed like crazy. I must have put 4 coats on at least. They looked terrible. Then I bought some spray (IIRC K2 caliper spray). Much much better finish. No problems at all. Seems to have dried nice and hard. Sprayed some clear lacquer over the top. Of course I did mine whilst in bits which made it easier. Mind you it wouldn't bother me one bit to strip down a new unit straight from the shop.

This time I avoided using red rubber grease at all. I lubricated them with brake fluid instead.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
VHT was my thinking , i think i used it to paint the coals in my gas fire and much to my astonishment it has lasted . Sharing your concerns about the key i did a bit of googling about etch primer but non i can find are heat resistant .

No sense in sanding electroplate for a key for paint to grip to so paint so if i do it will only be a sacrificial coating .

Undecided .

Depends how deep the electroplating is. Many motorcycle parts, bolts, brackets etc are electroplated and its crap. If you want paint to stick you’ll need etching primer. I shouldn’t worry about the heat. The callipers shouldn’t get hot enough to burn off paint, the discs on the other hand.........

Decided to hedge my bets and paint them the same colour without primer so if it flakes off it really doesn't matter .

C9CAC440-B3AA-434E-BCE0-35D0E7F226C2.jpeg

Back