Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Should Toyota repeat some history?

Rodger

So now the LR Defender is dead in all but name which, in my view, leaves a niche market wanting. The Defender has always been synonymous with utilitarian toughness, even allowing for its inherent unreliability, but their new model completely ignores this market niche. (Accountants and economies of scale, etc) The niche in the UK is estimated at 4500 units but what about the rest of Europe? Europe is a big market, as we all know, with numerous farmers, woodsmen, etc who require a tough utility vehicle.

When the UK had quotas on importing vehicles to protect the home motor manufacturing industry (that worked didn't it?) Toyota did not import the 40 series in any of its versions to the UK shores but they did import them to Europe in sufficient numbers that an assembly plant was established in Portugal. Then , back in 1978-80, they produced a European version of the 40 series - they had discs on the front plus other mods years before the LX version became available. Toyota produced 4559 such vehicles and they are identifiable by an extra 8, 85 or 9 in the VIN numbers.

Probably far too simplistic a point of view, but I think that Toyota should look seriously at Europeanizing the current 70 series Troopies and utes. Yes I hear you say Hilux but to me it does not completely satisfy the market particularly where the defunct 110 Defender is concerned.

It's probably not an economic route for Toyota to follow but they have done it before. I appreciate that the world has changed significantly in the intervening years but a reliable utilitarian vehicle with the bare minimum of electronics would undoubtedly fill a niche Europe wide. And the current range of LCs available from Mr T - well actually since the 100 - ignore a market sector that exists in Europe that the 70 series serves in the rest of the world.

Rodger

Back