Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Simple and Effective Auxiliary Fuel tank

ByronJ

Country Flag
wales
I have been wanting to fit an auxiliary fuel tank to my 1994 80 series (Elsie/LC) for some time but found the options available were expensive and unnecessarily complex - at least for my needs. Chatting with Ed and Trevor at Lincomb led us to a kind of joint project and here is the lads actually fitting the prototype to my car last week.

IMG_2796 New Tank.JPG

As you can see the tank fits above the spare wheel space at the rear of the car and is so tucked away that it sits above the exhaust and the bottom of the chassis. The tanks are both filled via the original filler. The fuel flows into the auxiliary tank and then on to the main tank via gravity. The bottom of the auxiliary tank is about 50mm above where it is connected to the main tank.

Obviously this transfer flow is not as fast as a standard pump flow so when filling more than 90 litres you will need to fill in two lots with a 10 minute break in between. Many retail pumps will not let you take more than £100 of fuel at one time anyway so you have to pay in two lots. Generally I plan to fill to 80 litres or so most times and only use the whole capacity of the system when I see there is an advantage to doing so.

Initial experience is very good. On my first “big fill” it took 175 Litres. There was capacity for a few more litres but 175 seemed a good number and my heart and wallet could not stand much more strain! With my long term average of 5 miles/ Litre that extends my range to 875 miles.

The fuel gauge does not move at all until more than 300 miles have been covered. Then it moves slowly down as both tanks are emptied, accelerating its descent (to normal I suppose) once the auxiliary is emptied.

The lads have a bunch of ideas for simplifying and improving the system, including a version which will allow the wheel carrier to remain in place below the tank. Early days yet but I am very happy with my tank.

Ahh so you did finally get away then Byron. Thought you might be sleeping in that back overnight ha ha.

Good to see you. Tank looked very nice and I was impressed with the Buzzweld coating on it.

interesting, I have been thinking of doing something like that on our 100 eventually. Did Ed and Trevor make the tank or source it from elsewhere?

Exactly the same set-up as me, IIRC the secondary tank was a sub tank from an Aussie Cruiser.

Last edited:
Nice idea glad to see a company trying to reduce people costs.

Seen the gravity tanks a few time and they work pretty well. I have not experienced one that took 10 mins to transfer though

Nice idea glad to see a company trying to reduce people costs.

Seen the gravity tanks a few time and they work pretty well. I have not experienced one that took 10 mins to transfer though

On mine tanks both fill with no wait necessary for fuel to drain through.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'd imagine that's just a matter of the size of the connecting pipe, unless there are safety valves or some other restrictions in the way...

I can't justify an aux tank, but the idea is very appealing...

Ahh so you did finally get away then Byron. Thought you might be sleeping in that back overnight ha ha.

Good to see you. Tank looked very nice and I was impressed with the Buzzweld coating on it.

Good to see you too Chris. Actually I did have to sleep in the back of the truck :fearful:. Got away the next day though.

clivehorriCliveden post: 1427842 said:
I'd imagine that's just a matter of the size of the connecting pipe, unless there are safety valves or some other restrictions in the way...

I can't justify an aux tank, but the idea is very appealing...
Of course you can clive. If you have one that isnt the size of an oil tanker, at the very least they save carrying a couple of jerry cans in the back, which need emptying by hand, normally when its pissing it down and youve got your best shirt on..

Hi Chas. I would be interested to see how that is achieved. Possibly as Clive suggests you have a much larger transfer pipe? The "10 minutes" was just a guess at how long it took me to buy a mars bar, queue pay and return to the car so not an exact figure. I will measure next time I do a big fill.

Of course the transfer time will depend on how much fuel is in the main tank. Mine only had a few litres. Should the main tank be half full then there will be significantly less fuel to transfer.

Last edited:
Of course you can clive. If you have one that isnt the size of an oil tanker, at the very least they save carrying a couple of jerry cans in the back, which need emptying by hand, normally when its pissing it down and youve got your best shirt on..

Well, I do have a best shirt, and it would be a shame to spoil it.... :think:

Trouble is, I get about 500km to a tank and my weekly average is 400km max.

But as an item of safety....

No! I'm spending on new CVs this week, so it's a firm no! No! No! No!!

Not yet anyway.... :shifty:

Hi Chas. I would be interested to see how that is achieved. Possibly as Clive suggests you have a much larger transfer pipe? The "10 minutes" was just a guess at how long it took me to buy a mars bar, queue pay and return to the car so not an exact figure. I will measure next time I do a big fill.

Of course the transfer time will depend on how much fuel is in the main tank. Mine only had a few litres. Should the main tank be half full then there will be significantly less fuel to transfer.
I usually wait for the main tank to get quite low before filling IIRC it's always a fill of more than 120ltr each time. When Julian V fitted it I asked him about the speed of transfer from sub (it's situated above the main) to main he said it depends on the plumbing, so it may well be size of pipe. When filling I can hear the fuel running from one to the other and when it gets near max I get a bubbling noise a few secs before the pump stops automatically.
I think it's a great system, no extra switches or gauges to bother about.
One of these days I'll wait for the low fuel light to come on to check what my total capacity is.

If you have an oem sub tank it will be 55 litres chas.

The ones overland cruisers do are 80L when I asked and at the time around £580+vat
Fit above the spare wheel carrier

If you have an oem sub tank it will be 55 litres chas.
Thanks CG, I'll be seeing Julian soon I'll ask on the type of tank he fitted, with both tanks full I get at least a range of 600 miles @ about 18mpg, just done a rough calculation and you are probably right on the size.

OEM sub is 65 l. I emptied mine and filled it so I could calibrate the fuel gauge. Very pleased with the set up. It's all I'll need I think.

I'd love to be in a position where I needed an 180 L sub as that would mean I'd be in the middle of nowhere.

The ones overland cruisers do are 80L when I asked and at the time around £580+vat
Fit above the spare wheel carrier
That's where mine sits, I can't remember the cost.

OEM sub is 65 l. I emptied mine and filled it so I could calibrate the fuel gauge. Very pleased with the set up. It's all I'll need I think.

I'd love to be in a position where I needed an 180 L sub as that would mean I'd be in the middle of nowhere.
I have a 160ltr tank sitting in Julians workshop at the mo, if anyone is interested

Back