Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Simple tip.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
During my preventative maintenance shedule, I am replacing all rubber pipes in the cooling system and some metal components as well. My rear heater pipes had been bypassed when I purchased the car, later I removed the heater, I thought I would remove the two metal tubes used to direct the heater flow, this will tidy up the bulkhead area, it was only then I realised there are three different size pipes.

I would think that most if not all carry a few spares when on off roading trips where the rescue services do not reach, it occured to me today, that carrying a single piece of 19mm rubber hose will get you out of trouble if you get a leak in:

Heater matrix front, heater matrix rear, heater valve or any of the various 15mm, 17mm, and 19mm pipes and God knows how many jubilee clips to hold this lot together.

Towards the rear of the block on either side are two 19mm connections, they are flow and returns for the heater, if you spring a leak in any of these pipes or the others 'aft' of these, it would be a PITA struggling at the bulkhead to repair a pipe or worse the heater matrix sprung a leak. Using your single piece of 19mm you can easily link the two connections over the top of the engine, less than five minutes and your on your way, then repair at your leisure. A metre of pipe is pushing your luck to not kink it, so I would say get a 1.5 metre length, put a couple of clips on it ready.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back