Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

single battery

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Hello all.. got my eye on a decent Colorado. Its an import. but only has a single battery. is there a reason for this or did some models have only the one..... are there pros and cons for having one battery. Made me think that's all.. any advice ... Cheers

Not sure why, but Irish market 90's only ever had one battery.. never caused me a problem, as low as -17 it's fired up without hesitation. If I was to have a second battery, it would be for accessories only.

Not sure why, but Irish market 90's only ever had one battery.. never caused me a problem, as low as -17 it's fired up without hesitation. If I was to have a second battery, it would be for accessories only.
Thanks for that Bob.. Excuse my stupidity but would an Irish Colorado be in KMs ph .. iv messaged the seller he says its an import its KPH. it seems to look like a GX spec but with VX dash etc fake wood etc GX wheels it looks tidy. wasn't sure about the battery thing that's all.. cant think why someone would remove a battery

Thanks for that Bob.. Excuse my stupidity but would an Irish Colorado be in KMs ph .. iv messaged the seller he says its an import its KPH. it seems to look like a GX spec but with VX dash etc fake wood etc GX wheels it looks tidy. wasn't sure about the battery thing that's all.. cant think why someone would remove a battery
This one.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Landcruiser-Colorado-3-0-Turbo-Diesel/253649911975?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Wasn’t the second battery part of a winter or low temp pack?

IMO one battery, especially with a leisure battery as backup is no bad thing.

It looks like it has a MPH speedo, so I would think that it's showing distance travelled in miles rather than kms. Looks tidy, but still worth having a good look around underneath for corrosion etc., especially back end and sills.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
JDM imports, mine included, often have cloth seats under a VX spec. They are pretty hard wearing and comfortable unless in farmer spec like Clive’s 80 where they are hard wearing but basic.

It looks like it has a MPH speedo, so I would think that it's showing distance travelled in miles rather than kms. Looks tidy, but still worth having a good look around underneath for corrosion etc., especially back end and sills.
I questioned the dash.. seller says it was replaced but still klicks in kph.. and he can prove.. I don't doubt him or the truck.. he even openly wants you to look at the MOT history..

Factory intercooler probably means it's a Prado 90 with no locking rear diff but LSD instead - in either case its worth investigating how to check its working correctly as both are known to fail .

Factory intercooler probably means it's a Prado 90 with no locking rear diff but LSD instead - in either case its worth investigating how to check its working correctly as both are known to fail .
The locking diff on my present 90 has never worked I even took what was left of it off years ago.. I don't do off road or 4x4 ing so never botherd me..... but your right worth checking.

It's only for when your stuck anyway really and you have to make a real effort to get these trucks stuck :happy-bouncyshadow:

I would opt for that engine over all others offered in the 90 series :thumbup:

And my UK spec Colorado came with only one battery , i bought the clamps and whatnot to add another but never got around to getting a split charge system because in truth i can find no real purpose for a second battery ..

Another one here - only one battery on my UK spec 1997 GS model. I can't see any advantage to having two. In fact I filled the space where the second one would be with an ammo box where I store my bottle jacks and stuff.

Some have one and some 2. My neighbours 97 has 2, a mate down the village 00 VX has one and my D4D has two so it doesn't seem critical.

Some have one and some 2. My neighbours 97 has 2, a mate down the village 00 VX has one and my D4D has two so it doesn't seem critical.
I suppose the only advantage of having 1 is it doesn't cost you £170 for new batteries like it did me 2 months ago.. if I do buy this truck at least il have some spare batteries as I intend to keep my old 90 for a life time of spares

Last edited:
Do they have two for reliability?
If one battery fails, the other will be enough to start the vehicle?
I suppose that might be useful in a cold climate (not sure its needed in the UK)

That’s one of the downsides, if one battery fails it often takes the other one with it unless there is some form of isolation retrofitted like a split charge system or DC DC charger.

That’s one of the downsides, if one battery fails it often takes the other one with it unless there is some form of isolation retrofitted like a split charge system or DC DC charger.

So not really much use at all then :crazy:

Is it largely a Toyota quirk?
I've seen it on several Hiluxes over the years (work trucks, old 2.4TDs and later D4D models too).
I have a vague feeling that some Isuzu Troopers might have had it (my old one only had a single though so I might be wrong).

Later GX did have fake wood but my GX is later reg than that & does not have the fake wood but imports can vary in spec of course, however a basic car check shows that one registered 14/5/99 which is likely the date of reg after import with original registration being before March 99 to be an S. Reg does reassuringly check out as a grey/blue as likely rather than the silver marked in the ad.
Often the speedometer is corrected by a face plate to you get the MPH but the odometer still shows KMH. Does not appear to have the UK spec bumper lights. Not sure if that is a problem as an import. The reflectors in the bumper appear smaller to me than the light clusters would have been so may not be able to swap so easily IF you do want that. As an import it may not have locking rear diff but that may not bother you.
Check for any signs of water in the ATF as well as rad condition. If you get an auto then flush and fill and change filter. Mine looked fine and the rad was fine but I did need an transmission rebuild a few months down the line as a clutch jammed because of a stuck valve (mileage was about 206,000 ish IIRC). (Great service by Suffolk Automatic Transmissions - no affiliation).
Would definitely get a history check before parting with cash. I have used mycarcheck.com (no affiliation) but there are others of course.
Twin battery was part of the Northern Spec seemingly more commonly known as the Winter Spec which also had the heated fuel filter housing although these can be picked up used for about 30 quid. Pros & cons with the twin battery but wouldn't worry in UK unless using with veg oil as may help with colder starts and warming of fuel with the heated filter. Downsides can be weight and one battery dying taking the other with it.
MOT History www.check-mot.service.gov.uk shows last 2 were straight through passes with no advisories and no suggestion of corrosion needing welding which is hopefully reassuring but how much depends on the tester and what has happened since. Hopefully being in the south then there is likely to be less snow / ice & corrosive salt on the road but who knows where it's been before that. Reading the MOT history can sometimes be really useful to give an idea how well things have been looked after. I know it is mentioned in the ad but may be useful to mention the service for future readers who may not be able to access the ad.

Edit: Sorry to bore people. I realise it has taken so long for me to post this with varying interruptions that others have already said a lot of what I put.

Last edited:
Back