Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sleeping-plattforms - how to sleep inside

Surfy

Overall there are more people out there, who use a tent, rooftent, trailer and so on. But some of us plan to sleep too inside of the car. This need a careful planning about, how to use the limited space.

Here i try to do an kind of compilation of sleeping plattform samples. Many links to websites and comunities who did their own collection of sleeping plattforms.

Here you will find many ideas, how others solve their plans to sleep inside with 1-3 Persons.

4x4-innenausbau-beispiele-schlafplattform-leichtbau-flightcase-sleeping-plattform.jpg

That is very helpful to find some inspiration if you plan on your own buildup.

Article in english:
4x4tripping: Sleeping inside of the car, Overlanding with comfort

In german language:
4x4tripping: Schlafen im Geländewagen, der Innenausbau

I hope you enjoy :)

Surfy

Reactions: Raj
Tried that. It was very comfy on the back but after 2 hours of clouting the roof every time I tried to roll, stretch or twist I got somewhat pissed off and ripped the lot out again.

Oh, that sounds like your Sleeping plattform dont leave you much space for your bed.

You have to watch the height carefully and to save any inch or cm you can. In my eyes you need at least 55cm between matress and car roof. More is better ;-)

There are lowprofile cooling boxes available at sample, our you can choose smaller ones..

I use two 15l Engel Boxed, one as fridge, one as cooling box. Compared to other brands i safed a lot of height. From Waeco is a "Drawer-Style" cooling box (non fridge) availabel who allows you to safe much more height at sample - than in my build.

Dusche.jpg

That gives enough space to sleep comfortable there. We life two months in this car on our transafrica.

DSC01600.JPG

Here you can see more details about our setup: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com/p/die-schlafplattform.html

Surfy

My old 80 worked quite well one up, I left the right hand rear seat in place so you could at least sit down if you wanted & made access to the bed easier.

2013-10-20_12-20-24_284_zps29967081.jpg

2013-10-20_12-20-40_132_zpsed3877b1.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose it depends what your carrying or if you want a bit of a camper conversion but i've never seen anybody sleep under a platform similar to Cptsideways set up .

Oh, that sounds like your Sleeping plattform dont leave you much space for your bed.

Doesn't look any higher than yours to be honest, but being a broad 6'3 every bit counts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There was actually an 80 series with one as a factory fit, because of tax breaks for campers in Japan.

activevacation_zps61be6684.jpg

activevacation2_zps48feca93.jpg

my 60 series one was a bit less manufactured and a bit more ad hoc!!

01808660_zps96c0449b.jpg

Somebody on the forum has that factory fitted camper 80 i remember it was assumed to be a D.I.Y job and the owner didn't like the decor , did Chas offer to buy the piano like box pictured above inside the right rear wing ?

did Chas offer to buy the piano like box pictured above inside the right rear wing ?

Did I? I can't remember now, besides I can't play the piano. :lol:

Think Shane is talking about Warren Chas. warren has the box still in the rear of the import 80

Hi Surfy, all these setup sacrifice the back row seats. Totally understandable, however for those of us with kids can you point us to the right direction whereby people have designed (LC78's mainly) flat sleeping spaces with the rear seats (at least 2) have been kept in place. Good to see designs people have employed around the world. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sort of thing always interests me. Do you have a 78 with rear seats or is it something you're on the hunt for?

Also, don't forget the space up front. Our boy sleeps across the driver and passenger seats on a modified camp bed. Works brilliantly.

We used the 80 as a camper for a while and some of the best trips we've done were using that set up .
I have not measured how high the platform is but it is just high enough to get a .50 Cal ammo box underneath .
All our storage was in ammo boxes varying from .50 to 120mm projectile ones ...
Water carried in several issue 20L cans and cooking on a 2 burner gas cooker .
We removed both sets of rear seats and the storage underneath was ample.
Mattress was actually 2 memory foam dog beds...... we spent 14 days at the longest with wife , collie and myself sleeping happily .
We also took a fantastic little 3 man tent in case the hotel cruiser was too restrictive ....never needed to put it up and one memorable night we slept safe and sound and dry while all the tents on the campsite were blown either flat or damaged by torrential rain and gale force winds .
Set up has now been modified to allow the second row rear seats to be fitted but when they are folded down I can still sleep like a king in the cruiser and often do for weekend trips with mates to our remote private camp site ....

Thanks Jacob and Grimbo - we are at the hunting vehicle stage. That's a really good point you make though... Utilize the room at the front of the vehicle. Am I right is assuming the width of the front / back bench is 1435mm? With 2 kids we could throw one at the front and one on the bench (in bad weather).
Grimbo - that rear bench seat are you using, keen to know the height of the seats when you fold them down.
Cheers,
D

I'll have a measure .... I just fold the back of the seat down and it's just the same height as the platform.... maybe with a slight upwards tilt towards the front seats ( saves on needing a pillow).

I wish I could claim this was deliberate ;-) but it was a lucky coincidence as the platform was conceived and built with only the front seats in use .
When the Mrs decided she wanted an onboard toilet and more comfort she got a Fiat Ducato camper van and I removed the front part of the platform to allow the second row seats to be refitted ...the rear of the platform is still in place and works well for hidden storage .

For solo or me and my Collie use I now sleep on a memory foam army hospital bed mattress . Cooler still sits in the L/H rear cut out .

It all sounds far more grand than it is.... it's made out of marine ply ...some alloy profiles from a lorry body builders scrap bin and a few bits of alloy angle .
In it's original configuration the sleeping area was the same size as a normal double bed . The area at the front over the footwell of the second row seats could hinge back on it's self to allow both front seats to move backwards to their rearmost position and also to allow them to recline to about 45 degrees . We could drive and not fold this area back but not recline the seats .

Last edited:
Hi Surfy, all these setup sacrifice the back row seats. Totally understandable, however for those of us with kids can you point us to the right direction whereby people have designed (LC78's mainly) flat sleeping spaces with the rear seats (at least 2) have been kept in place. Good to see designs people have employed around the world. Thanks.

It would be possible in a Landcruiser, but with near no storage, please consider that kids bring a lot more luckage with them.

With Kids we may have to consider other vehicles, like one of these:

AVvXsEiE0V1Y0wEgXRD4-dRX8y661l1xurrokJwjQ1yarCJWD9ptDGXnmY2-MXxIm7yxILN74QWCq7rrSOk_R_Qx7PXqTRXogIzFx4SfycSfrKpV0bYGemcIKzrTZGEkUjmhZCGhO4qhEWx1DN-sWTvefZUVjIuXiGam_eKnnm3qz-0tMH72oC2_r5XbOMrDkQ=s1280

2021-comparison-vanlife-small-van-tiny-rv-camping-vehicles-bus.jpg

You can optain them with 4 wheel drive and rear difflock, but without low gear.

Here I did compare some vehicles recently:

Article: Ford Nugget vs VW California vs Campmobil - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

It will allow even some offroad, to follow tracks far from tarmac, fireroads, backcountry without to worry. They bring even toilet, hot shower, kitchen, park heater - and the option to stay inside in wet or cold conditions.

Yes, nothing for a transafrica - but with kids this is probably out of focus eigther...

Surfy

97DAF4B1-EDD4-4A90-A559-CB281165B522.jpeg

I want a setup like this but I don’t know how to design one and when I ask van builders to make one for me they want a 3 D image with measurements.

Wow ! I don't see what their problem is, seems as if they're not up to taking measurements of your cruiser after verifying what you want, then transferring to their own cad/3d.
Find yourself a good carpenter, who will measure and make to suit what you want, and much cheaper, although you may have to get upholstery/plumbing done by someone else.

Back