Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sloshing water/liquid sound??

Spacekase2990

Country Flag
united_states
I’m hearing some kinda fluid moving around.. it sounds like it’s coming from underneath the floor.. I have a 92 land cruiser. Idk if it’s some kinda extra holding tank for coolant etc… but it does not seem normal .. also getting wet carpet on the drivers side.. smells like water but can’t tell
Where it’s coming from ??

Hey I didn’t feel the water but noticed on the passenger side footwell coolant leak some years ago. In the end had to replace the heater matrix. Any water in the footwell is either rain getting in somewhere of the heater matrix.

Check your sill drainage areas underneath, if they get blocked the effect can be as you describe.
A poke with a bit of wire is all that's needed. If you have a sunroof, the water drains down a tube each side in the windscreen pillar, then into the sills.

As MM said, if its on the LH side footwell its the heater matrix. Chances are its the sill drains blocked up and filled with water fron the sunroof drains.
remedy as above post.

Also pop the cover strips of at the door cill and lift the carpet there. From what you describe, the water is in the cills so this area under the carpet should be dry but there’s quite a channel for water to get in if your screen has leaked or you’re unfortunate enough to have had a leak in your heater matrix. And you need to investigate soon as if the cill drains are bunged up good and proper, it can back up to the sun roof and drip on your head in extreme wet (which we seem to be having lots of atm).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sills full of water would be my guess too.

So I pulled the drain plugs on the bottom near the doors… And a ton of water came out …where is the water coming from?… I took off the windshield wipers and the piece around them and looked for clogs and debris but didn’t find any… Any help would be great

I lifted the plastic pieces around the door and shop vac the moisture out.. im leaving the plugs out for now so I don’t collect more water in there.. is there a simple fix to keep the water from flowing into that area again?

The factory fitted sunroof drains into the sills. If you don't have a sunroof I've no idea where the water is coming from. There are some drain slots along the welded seam which just need keeping clear.

Water finds a way... My old 12v sills were full of water, Check everywhere basically, Rear arches, the sills them selves, also check rear quarter panels The Rear light units are Known to let water in.... After the water had drained i blew out the sills with the air line to get rid of as much as possible, Then pumped what ever i could get my hands on, into the sills, WD40/ chain lube/ Squirted engine oil in from an oil can with a long thin Spout..... .... If the water has never been drained from the sills in the past... You would have nearly 30 years of water finding a way in and sloshing about..........

Would you know if the windscreen has been replaced by previous owner job may not have been done properly and or is the seal around sunroof leaking if you have had one of your kids or friend doing some sunroof surfing they may of dislodged the seal

There isn't actually a seal around the sunroof on the 80 - where a factory sunroof has been fitted. There's a kind of 'keep the crud out' weather strip, but strangely the sunroof is designed to leak. I know I, know it sounds nuts. But I guess the theory is that eventually a seal will leak, so let's make it leak all the time and deal with the water in a different way. There are 4 large diameter pipes that lead from each corner down into the sills. It actually seems to work fine. However, there are two common issues.
1. there is a small plastic thingy in the mechanism that is glued in. After 2 decades this starts to leak and water will just pour into the headlining. It's fixable. But not what's happening here I don't think.
2. the slit drains in the sills (very hard to find until you know what you're looking for) get clogged with dirt and water builds up in the sills.

There isn't a cure for the water entering the sills; it's supposed to do that. Get a hose or can and douse the roof and you'll see water run out under the car. It's unlikely that any of the drain hoses are blocked because they really are quite big. Worth testing each one to make sure they're clear I guess.

Back