Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Smart Bar from ARB

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi,

Came across this

Is a polymer front bullbar, apparently as strong as metal, but a lot safer for pedestrians ( unsure how both of those statements can be true at the same time ). But it looks like it's going to meet the Euro spec to be sold locally.

That Orange though. ...

The white version looks OK. And it might actuallu go some way in toning down the aggressive look of the full metal bumper/bars.

I can't say I like the look, but at least it won't go rusty...

That was my thought Clive. It looks wrong to me. Maybe it's the colour, or what's attached to it. Havent there been black versions similar before?
If you ask me, hitting a pedestrian with any vehicle is wrong. Why should making it 'safer' to do so be considered a benefit? :think:

I would think that they must have steel in them for mounting and support, so any benefit for pedestrians would only be at pretty low speed.

The most logical lobby I heard for bull bars to be banned is the concept that a standard vehicle would tend to knock the legs from under a pedestrian, who would then impact the top of a bonnet, which by its nature would absorb most of the impact, potentially reducing injuries.

I don't know if there's stats proving more fatalities with bars vs without.

Still, whatever this bar is made from, it hitting a pedestrian at any speed is gonna come sharp, and prevent the "barrel-roll" effect car manufacturers allege to strive for.

Always better to stay on the footway, I say :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It mentions models for a few 4x4's but no mention of the 80.

Landrover have been using that stuff on bull bars for ages you can push your thumb in about a half inch , i think its just poly urethane foam of varying density .

I'm with you on that one Clive, another thing to consider how would they stand up to a concrete wall. :laughing-rolling:

Oh, and I wonder how you would know about concrete walls and bull bars, Chas. :think::whistle:

Hope you don't mind me posting this mate... :laughing-rolling:

IMG_7122.JPG

Oh, and I wonder how you would know about concrete walls and bull bars, Chas. :think::whistle:

View attachment 126745

View attachment 126745
and this is what the front of the truck looked like. :icon-surprised:
The TJM bumper stood up to the impact very well much better than the ARB polystyrene would. :lol:

1[1].jpg

tjm bumpers ++

but for a second, spare a thought for that snorkel - looks entirely un-damaged, it must have taken a fair bit of the side wall on the way out.

Back