Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Smart meters

We had a smart meter fitted ages ago. Some people are just plain paranoid.
it doesn't save us any money but we dont have to give meter readings. That swung it for me..

But, but, they’ll know what TV programs you are watching! (As long as you don’t turn any other devices on or off while you are watching, and don’t have more than 1 TV on). Or I suppose Sky and Netflix and the others might just know that too.

Going back to when this Post first started, We had smart meters fitted, But they are still not working because of lack of Mobile signal.. Its the same with most folk in our area, Despite energy companies, MPs, and lord knows who else Having a go at the mobile Networks to get their fingers out their Arses and provide a Network so people can go Smart... But to be fair they don't give a F@*k.. Nor do I. ... I don't need another spy in my house making note of when I have a crap. Water companies will supply Smart style meters that will know at 6.15am you used 4.6 litres of water in one continuous flow.. therefore you must have flushed the toilet. Then they can calculate there is a 50/50 chance you had a Crap at 6.15am.. They are watching:shh:

Going back to when this Post first started, We had smart meters fitted, But they are still not working because of lack of Mobile signal.. Its the same with most folk in our area, Despite energy companies, MPs, and lord knows who else Having a go at the mobile Networks to get their fingers out their Arses and provide a Network so people can go Smart... But to be fair they don't give a F@*k.. Nor do I. ... I don't need another spy in my house making note of when I have a crap. Water companies will supply Smart style meters that will know at 6.15am you used 4.6 litres of water in one continuous flow.. therefore you must have flushed the toilet. Then they can calculate there is a 50/50 chance you had a Crap at 6.15am.. They are watching:shh:

there watching you for sure higgy...:icon-surprised:

:icon-biggrin:

But, but, they’ll know what TV programs you are watching! (As long as you don’t turn any other devices on or off while you are watching, and don’t have more than 1 TV on). Or I suppose Sky and Netflix and the others might just know that too.
The point here is they are costing us all money when they are touted as being money saving devices which they clearly are not. Does it not bother you that something is being offered to you as free when it isn’t and money saving, when it isn’t? I don’t remember the last time I read our meter so it’s not a problem. Paranoid? Nah. I just hate being lied to for someone else’s benefit. Everything else in life that’s offered as ‘free’ by some business or another is never really free, nor is it there to benefit you only. Why should these be any different?

A sprat to catch a mackerel.

The point here is they are costing us all money when they are touted as being money saving devices which they clearly are not. Does it not bother you that something is being offered to you as free when it isn’t and money saving, when it isn’t? I don’t remember the last time I read our meter so it’s not a problem. Paranoid? Nah. I just hate being lied to for someone else’s benefit. Everything else in life that’s offered as ‘free’ by some business or another is never really free, nor is it there to benefit you only. Why should these be any different?

A sprat to catch a mackerel.

I’m old enough to know nothing is free, no matter what you are charged for it. I know meters are there to save the power generators and suppliers money. I don’t know how they are costing us money though?

They give some information to the consumer, which may or may not be helpful. They do allow suppliers and generators to accurately plan generation and distribution with less wastage.

If it meant I got accurate bills, rather than wild estimates I’d be happy. But no one has ever asked me to get one, and I’m too lazy to actively seek one out. In 2018 they do seem a much better way to measure consumption rather than peering at numbers on a box then typing those in to my laptop or phoning them through somewhere.

Scottish Power kept ringing me to arrange a time for my smart meter to be fitted. After I had told them "No" 4 tines I decided to take action. I made an official complaint telling them I was reporting them for the criminal offence of Harassment. Oh dear, a long apology email saying I had been removed from their requesters register which should have been done on first refusal.

Victory1 Well not quite. I received an email about my new smart meter yesterday, one you could reply to, so I wrote.

"You fucking criminal or just thick?.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The smart meter records power use if i remember right a power company can already see a big jump in power use as used by cannabis growers but cannot pin point the house only the road its in now if i were doing a resto project like Higgy lots of washing grinding welding painting and heating they can trace that send in a team check it out and if there is a funny cannabis smell they call in de police and all because of higher than normal power use so if i want to wash grind weld me truck or have a porcalain crap have to flush it 3 times to get rid of the evidence or grow cannabis why can i do it privately and as i have mentioned the C word i am more than likely on a watch list now Seasons Greetings and Happy Paranoia to all

Back to the mobile Network not working when we and our local MP and E'on complained to the mobile companies Their response was That the government targets that were set, Were that 90% of the country had good 2g coverage by 2020 and since they were on track to meeting that target The saw no reason to act/ respond to further complaints from house holders/ utilities companies ...... Lazy Slackers

Erm just how is this smart meter going to connect with my TV, laptop and phone?

TV has no network connection and without a password it won’t be able to connect to my phone or laptop

Erm just how is this smart meter going to connect with my TV, laptop and phone?

TV has no network connection and without a password it won’t be able to connect to my phone or laptop
Not sure how it all works, But the smart meter needs a mobile Phone signal to send the information from the Smart meters to you energy supplier.. Im sure the word App is in there somewhere.. But how Lap tops and the like come into it is Beyond me..

Progress , its all good , like the introduction of credit cards , what could possibly go wrong :confusion-shrug:

I'm lucky so far in that the smartest meter on offer here is a shiny new one (new gas meter just installed free of charge) that wheeezes and clunks a shade less than the old one did, it doesn't have any link to the internet, and we have to trudge 50m across the garden to read the meter once a month (what a terrible inconvenience to us) and phone-in the reading using a f.o.c. text message.

What I'm hearing about (real) Smart Meters is quite horrifying TBH, both on the matter of data collection /storage /and dissemination and in terms of the pending 5G ... BIG BRUVVER Syndrome and all the health scare issues. It appears there's no evidence whatsoever that it's safe (and that goes for current mobile phone use and 4G wi-fi).

There is the scary scenario that by the time our kids are old enough to have babies, the damage from Mobile Phones (which came into popular widespread use about 15 years ago) and exposure to 4G wi-fi may come to light with birth deformities and goodness knows what (way too late to do anything about it) and the power and exposure of 5G is purported to be some 25 higher than current 4G .... :scared-eek: if I've understood anything that's available ... that being nothing available that's reliable.

So what seems to be the trend these days is that we're led by greedy rich fat bastard business into tumbling headlong into life-changing "progress" that suits us as a convenience, yet we know sweet nothing (officially) of the side effects or other damaging consequences (if any) ... a bit like the BREXIT fiasco where nobody knows anything about either side of the arguments, all a mixture of hypothesis and downright lies...

Go on yootoob and there you'll find all sorts of scaremongering about mobile phones and microwaves, 5G scares, 4G scares, personal accounts of cancers caused by mobile phone use, birth defects as a consequence of 4G wi-fi exposure, along with the Conservative Party and the flat earth brigade and the "nobody's ever been to the moon or even into anything higher than low earth orbit because it's impossible to go deeper into space and come back alive" brigade... the 911 conspiracy bunch, California fires caused by space-based military lasers, and so it goes on....

In truth, we're all mushrooms so let's all drink and be merry and phone our mates until our ears and brains get fried... and tumble off the extinction cliff following the lemming in front of us... nobody cares and nobody does any, or publishes any, properly reliable research into these things.

I'm just glad I'm too old to worry about the future, it's going to happen the way it will happen, whatever us mortals try and do about it.... I can't really bring myself to care much anymore.

And, what about the damaging fine particles that my 80 is supposed to have been emitting for the last 23 years, I should be utterly ashamed of myself... when big business sponsored ships and aircraft are freely spewing millions of tons of the stuff daily without a sniff of complaint from our big business gov'ners...

what a load of effin bollox

Sorry, rant over

Just had a call from them... They're completely free it seems. And compulsory in any case so I've got to have one.

It's almost like someone was monitoring my smart devices.

I'm lucky so far in that the smartest meter on offer here is a shiny new one (new gas meter just installed free of charge) that wheeezes and clunks a shade less than the old one did, it doesn't have any link to the internet, and we have to trudge 50m across the garden to read the meter once a month (what a terrible inconvenience to us) and phone-in the reading using a f.o.c. text message.

What I'm hearing about (real) Smart Meters is quite horrifying TBH, both on the matter of data collection /storage /and dissemination and in terms of the pending 5G ... BIG BRUVVER Syndrome and all the health scare issues. It appears there's no evidence whatsoever that it's safe (and that goes for current mobile phone use and 4G wi-fi).

There is the scary scenario that by the time our kids are old enough to have babies, the damage from Mobile Phones (which came into popular widespread use about 15 years ago) and exposure to 4G wi-fi may come to light with birth deformities and goodness knows what (way too late to do anything about it) and the power and exposure of 5G is purported to be some 25 higher than current 4G .... :scared-eek: if I've understood anything that's available ... that being nothing available that's reliable.

So what seems to be the trend these days is that we're led by greedy rich fat bastard business into tumbling headlong into life-changing "progress" that suits us as a convenience, yet we know sweet nothing (officially) of the side effects or other damaging consequences (if any) ... a bit like the BREXIT fiasco where nobody knows anything about either side of the arguments, all a mixture of hypothesis and downright lies...

Go on yootoob and there you'll find all sorts of scaremongering about mobile phones and microwaves, 5G scares, 4G scares, personal accounts of cancers caused by mobile phone use, birth defects as a consequence of 4G wi-fi exposure, along with the Conservative Party and the flat earth brigade and the "nobody's ever been to the moon or even into anything higher than low earth orbit because it's impossible to go deeper into space and come back alive" brigade... the 911 conspiracy bunch, California fires caused by space-based military lasers, and so it goes on....

In truth, we're all mushrooms so let's all drink and be merry and phone our mates until our ears and brains get fried... and tumble off the extinction cliff following the lemming in front of us... nobody cares and nobody does any, or publishes any, properly reliable research into these things.

I'm just glad I'm too old to worry about the future, it's going to happen the way it will happen, whatever us mortals try and do about it.... I can't really bring myself to care much anymore.

And, what about the damaging fine particles that my 80 is supposed to have been emitting for the last 23 years, I should be utterly ashamed of myself... when big business sponsored ships and aircraft are freely spewing millions of tons of the stuff daily without a sniff of complaint from our big business gov'ners...

what a load of effin bollox

Sorry, rant over
:text-goodpost:

I’m old enough to know nothing is free, no matter what you are charged for it. I know meters are there to save the power generators and suppliers money. I don’t know how they are costing us money though?

They give some information to the consumer, which may or may not be helpful. They do allow suppliers and generators to accurately plan generation and distribution with less wastage.

If it meant I got accurate bills, rather than wild estimates I’d be happy. But no one has ever asked me to get one, and I’m too lazy to actively seek one out. In 2018 they do seem a much better way to measure consumption rather than peering at numbers on a box then typing those in to my laptop or phoning them through somewhere.
True they will likely help with predicting demand, but I can only really see this as being a few percent as National Grid have got this down to a fine art already, especially with energy that can be added at a few minutes notice from links such as France and Ireland or from generators such as Dinorwig for example. Meters that communicate their usage every half hour are nothing new. They’ve been in use on commercial sites for probably 20 years or more without the word ‘smart’ in sight. 1/2 hourly metering and billing has been available for a long time.

They are costing us money simply because someone has to pay for them and it’s certainly not going to be the Networks or the energy companies. They are also likely to usher in variable tariffs throughout the day, meaning if the consumer is using electricity at the peak time they get charged peak rates. This is ok if your technology can keep up with this but as said in the video, some people will lose out. On their own, without any change from the consumer, not a penny will be saved. I notice they’ve now changed the frequent radio ad saying that savings can be made by switching things off and reducing waste. Radical stuff!!

Now here’s a very interesting talk about the Australian electricity network. I don’t suppose their model is alone, especially as some of what this lady says is already happening/has happened here.

I think this goes a very long way to explaining the adoption of Smart meters to try and change our electricity usage to more fit the energy produced by wind and solar whose vulnerability is the inability to accurately predict the weather. Oh, and the fact that solar is only really available when it’s light and really efficient when it’s sunny.

Interesting talk.

And another, from someone who knows. Interestingly he says he’s ripping out night storage heating in favour of low energy high efficiency electric radiators to get rid of Economy 7, the old way of selling surplus generation. As he says, there was always a sting in the tail with Economy 7 as the daytime rate is higher.

Back