Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorkel Help

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Evenin all! When I bought my J95 Prado it came with a snorkel. There was a load of badly applied black mastic around the joint to the airbox. Well I finally got around to scraping it all off and discovered two things:-

1. It had not been masticked underneath so it would have leaked.

2. There is no form of rubber seal or gasket.

So my question is, should there be a gasket and if so, would it be part of the original airbox set up or after market with the snorkel?
Pic attached

Attachments

• 3.0 TD.jpg
    3.0 TD.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 34
No gasket just a good for nothing foam ring hence they sealed it with mastic .

Hmmm, need to do something....

Maybe get the naff foam ring them give that a good old mastic job? I can see why it was not sealed underneath coz you cannot remove the parts - seal - then re-install :think:
:think:

Your not supposed to put the airbox under water hence we fit snorkels

TBH most snorkels are purely for show anyway - very few people run their trucks in 3 feet plus of water. Unless you're planning on competition work I'd just refit it and forget about it.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Yes, the previous owner bought a lot of bolt on goodies and only ever drove on tarmac.

I certainly have no intention of wading in a three foot deep river and here in Cyprus I doubt if I can find one!

My biggest danger here is dust. So I will try and source the sponge o ring jobby that Shane mentioned and do my very best to create an effective mastic seal.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd not be looking for original because it really is something that might be used to pack toys in the cardboard box for delivery then thrown in the bin .

A quick search for "intake seal" found this which looks promising and a longer search is sure to turn up others perhaps more suitable .

Again Shayne thanks for your advice and time spent looking on my behalf.
I am so grateful that I even took the trouble to check the spelling of your name this time! :tonguewink:

It had occured to me to cut away the funnel shape edge to the airbox - to make a round pipe and then find a silicone pipe of a larger internal diameter to secure to both existing parts thereby making the seal AND....... one that can be easily removed if I need engine access in the future. Something like the picture.

EDIT:- Just found this:- Forge Alloy Hose Joiner 75mm Length - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Attachments

• Connector.JPG
    Connector.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
@TALAMAN , I just tightly wrapped some old inner tube from a bike around mine. It has worked fine for the two years it has been connected.

I was a bit surprised when I got my Safari Snorkel and the instruction were to just apply sealant to this foam like thingy on the air filter box. I ended up just applying a lot of RTV silicone from wurth that I've used through the years for sealing rubber grommets for wire pass through (firewall, body etc). So far no water has entered the engine and I use my cruiser like a submarine in the summer (not that I recommend it though).
The one I get from wurth has the number 0893 331 1 but I guess any proper sealant will do.

Thanks Bert that is a good idea that I had not even thought of!

Samuelhj, thanks I will maybe do a combo of your idea and Berts as I feel getting mastic to the lower area is problematic and not guaranteed.

The lid is unlikely to be watertight either but it doesn't matter because air will be sucked from the least line of resistance - your snorkel head .

Well, I have sorted my problem. Thank you BERT for the inspiration.

Firstly, I got hold of a normal inner tube and tried to stretch it out to cover the 65mm pipe work of the air box etc. - Too tight, but I didn't want to wrap it - even with mastic or silicone to help create a seal. So I managed to scrounge an inner tube of a "fat bike" tyre. I also drilled out the rivet holding the funnel type plastic from the airbox side (pic in original post) and got a 68mm UPVC pipe connecter to insert and extend the airbox "shoulder" which would give me enough pipe for a jubilee clip to grip on. Stretched the inner tube over two pipe ends and clipped it. This is both flexible and forms an airtight seal which can easily be removed for any futre work. Pic below.

Attachments

• Snorkel.jpg
    Snorkel.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back