So I bought myself a go pro

fbnss Apr 16, 2017

1. fbnss

fbnss Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Didn't know where to put this so...
    I bought myself a GoPro hero 5. Its teeny tiny! Here my first vid. Nothing exciting, just wanted to see how it came out. Seems to make me look like I'm speeding everywhere but I think that's the mode I had it in. Engine sounds good though! :)

2. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    Nice one Nick :thumbup:

As police-chase vids go, it's up with the rest of them on u-toob, at least no blue lights passed you! :lol:

You'll get yourself to Romania in no time, at that rate :lol:

I know nothing about GoPro kit, but you may be able to up the settings to improve clarity, if it's a problem, but I don't think it will be.

I know little about IT either, but from what I know of u-toob, freshly uploaded vids appear less clear than hoped, yet improve in quality over time, it may depend on how many "views" it gets, or just a matter of time.

I've uploaded vids from my Sony "big" hand-held video camera (with very good quality HD) and they look pretty ropey on first views, but somehow they improve over time.

How about mounts, did you get a selection in the kit?

Yours is waterproof too, so you could mount it outside. If you do, take care to remove it if you stop in a public place to go for a stroll or whatever. I'm forever forgetting, and so far I've been lucky that someone hasn't unscrewed it!

I like the look of the Karma steady handgrip, that smooths out everything, but they're expensive.

3. fbnss

Map
    It came with two sticky pads so I bought a cheapy bundle pack which has all sorts. I'm now the proud owner of a selfie stick...
    I spent ages trying to figure out how to get the windscreen mount to work so that the camera was the right way round and pointing roughly forward. Turns out if you stick it on upside down it "self rights" the picture, like when you turn your phone on its side. As for quality, it shoots at 4K whatever that is, I don't have anything that will play that so had it at 1080p. Think it will improve when the memory card arrives as the one in it isn't up to the job. We'll see. The thought of sticking on the outside of the car isn't that appealing just yet. Wait for it to get a bit scratched first!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    clivehorridge likes this.
  4. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    I've got a mini Sony, and that's usable either way up but not on it's side.

Another mistake I made for u-toob uploads, was filming in the truck with the radio on or music playing, they have deleted vids in the past for copight infringement, so you'll need to learn how to upload them without sound, or record them without sound.

It's good fun though, practicing different mounting positions (00-er) and seeing what gives the best results. I'm still a novice at this and haven't produced anything "high quality" yet, but who cares, it's recording the memory of a trip that really counts.

5. fbnss

Map
    yeah im just messing around with the "gopro studio" at the moment, trouble is it keeps freezing the computer up. The hdd is a bit slow for all the information, annoying as the cpu and memory are hardly doing anything!

6. fbnss

Map
    Hardly speeding at all!

clivehorridge likes this.
  7. Dervis Garip

Dervis Garip Well-Known Member Supporter I am in cyprus

Garage:
    Map
    Great video & truck there Nick.

fbnss likes this.
  8. fbnss

Map
    I'm quite liking the engine sound, the video is just driving to my mates house yesterday. I'm just seeing whats what at the moment. The editing bit is taking me forever!

9. TonyP

TonyP Super Moderator Supporter I am in uk

Map
    @Crispin has a story of sticking a gopro on the outside.....

10. fbnss

Map
    Is that the video to lincomb by any chance?

11. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    Does it have a remote control Nick?

12. fbnss

Map
    you can buy one but it connects to the app on the phone. Hold on....

13. fbnss

Map
    Using the phone to take a photo from the GoPro. IMG_7529.JPG
    And the app on the phone where you can change the settings etc IMG_7530.PNG

14. Chas

Garage:
    Map
    I presume the app is something you download after you've bought the camera, yes?

15. fbnss

Map
    Yes. Free on iTunes although I'll be changing to a Samsung exploding phone on Thursday.

16. TonyP

Map
    Yup

17. fbnss

Map
    Im just looking for it.

18. TonyP

Map
    Don't know if he posted it, was a few years ago now, after I sold Lil Blue and before he got his Volvo

19. fbnss

Map
    Well i couldn't find it. I have seen it though, prob before i joined the forum as I didnt know who Cris was at the time.

20. Chas

Garage:
    Map

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter