Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So it happened

RichC4

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I bought the very clean red Prado that was posted in the classifieds recently.

Took a long boring train ride down to see it. Seller was a real gent, picked me up at the station, let me poke around under it, was honest about the few faults it has.

Good stuff:
The chassis condition is unreal. Almost no rust, even surface scaling. There was a tiny amount of surface rust in a few places, but that was all I could find. No under coating as he said he wanted to show off how good it was.

Engine ran smooth, no sign of any coolant in the atf or oil. Oil seemed in good condition (though I will be tempted to change it soon anyway). Recently had belts done.

Almost everything works. Aircon, windows, even the aerial extender.

Interior is really clean. The seats are on pretty much showroom condition. I'm not sure if they are original, but if not they were very nicely retrimmed.

Bad stuff:

The popout tray in the centre console doesn't latch back.
Rear wiper got stuck at one point.
There's a small piece of interior trim broken.
A little lacquer peel on the roof.

As you can see, that's a pretty minor list of faults for a car this old.

Also, no remote fob, just a regular key. I'm not sure if this is normal for an import or if the fob just got lost at some point?

There's what appears to be a flare clipped into a holder in the passenger footwell, is this standard equipment?

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_182402__01.jpg
    IMG_20210821_182402__01.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 69
Well done Rich. I have the flare mounted in n/s footwell on my 92 Jap 78, which is not a JDM import, and assumed it was original equipment ? Happy cruising.

Congrats, that does look nice indeed

Next step will be Krown I think, unless there's a better solution for rust proofing?

Very nice - that does look like a lovely truck! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Blimey Rich, another leading question on rustproofing favourites. There's loads of threads about that, all differing opinions on everyone's favourite, some good, some not so good.
Read some, then make up your own mind, and remember, prep is everything regardless of what is used.

I posted this on the other thread, But i will repeat... Well done mate. I loved my old Colorado, It had 285,000 on the clock when i sold it, So its proof they are well capable..... Sold it for a 120, Can you believe it... :wtf:

Congratulations on the purchase!! Looks really clean. I posted a link in the classified about how clean it was when it was advertised. Got a Prado myself and loves it. Got 20 odd more horses cos of the intercooler. I used to have the GX manual Colorado, the Prado feels more torque. See if you can get the original Prado front brush bar. The rules of bull bar in this country are not super clear. I think if you have a winch then it’s legal, as it’s an accessory. If not it’s not safe for pedestrians

Looks like the one on eBay in slough posted elsewhere on here for quite a stiff price.

Krown is a good bet imho. To see it displace water like a waterfall when applied is a revelation and Rob is super thorough with his application. It doesn’t cover up nasties or trap moisture.

Yes Higgy, you may well be right. Finding a good Collie whatever the engine and preserving it may be a shrewd move.
The hunt is on. It may well be noted that there aren't many panels you can get from Toyota these days.

Although my Collie was in excellent condition underneath, I decided that a professional rust proofing would be money well spent to preserve it as I’m intending on keeping it for a number of years. The number of 90’s which had bad or terminal rust when I was viewing them prior to buying the one I have was quite alarming as was the glowing descriptions of those in the motor trade who were trying to unload them. Coming from decades of Land Rover ownership I was used to poking around underneath vehicles that I was interested in as a first step in the inspection process. Land Cruisers are no different apart from the fact they are more reliable.

Back