Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Soggy brakes

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Having some work done on truck, but the mech can't get the brakes solid again. Changed master cylinder a few weeks ago as it had a leak and following the holiday, changed all the pads in each corner.
He has bled it time and time again, to no avail. LSV has also been bled. With the engine running, the brakes are soggy. With the engine running and the air vac line off they are solid.
Could there be air in the abs pump? Have to get it in for the very strict French MOT soon......like this it won't have a chance any ideas peeps?

Rings a bell saying don't bleed brakes with the truck jacked up because the LSV needs weight on it ?

With the Cursed smart car, I’m told the ABS is tricky to bleed. I was told to use a pressure bleeder AND pump as normal to really send the fluid through quite fast. Alternately @Chris swears by his vacuum bleeder which I may need to try as the method on the Smart has only been partly successful. I believe you need to shift quite a lot of fluid, quite fast.

Yep vac bleeder is a winner. I've had plenty of brake issues over the years. Never had a problem with air in the ABS.

Shayne is right about the LSPV, it's a needle valve and its position affect the flow of fluid to the wheels. But because it has a dedicated bleed nipple on it, it shouldn't matter.

One important issue though that's often overlooked is the bleeding of the master cylinder itself. Does sound like perhaps there is air in that. It's not self bleeding. You effectively have to prime it first.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
While we are on the subject of bleeding brakes. When I put new front callipers on the 120, I cut about a metre of pipe from the bleed nipple and masking taped the other end to the wing so it was vertical and sat about 6inch above the master cylinder. Cracked the bleed nipple off and just left it to Gravity and Barometric pressure.. I sat for a while and watched all the air slowly rise. Did the other side and Shag me it worked. Brakes are mint.. Remember to hold your finger over the end at the top when you take the pipe off the nipple and let the excess run into the reservoir.. Not a bad way of doing it when your on your own..:thumbup:

Last edited:
Oh and Mr Froggy.. I had an identical problem with my Colorado when I changed the MS.. And the good folk on here reminded me I had to Bleed up the MS.. It worked.. Hope that's all you need to do.. :thumbup:

While we are on the subject of bleeding brakes. When I put new front callipers on the 120, I cut about a metre of pipe from the bleed nipple and masking taped the other end to the wing so it was vertical and sat about 6inch above the master cylinder. Cracked the bleed nipple off and just left it to Gravity and Barometric pressure.. I sat for a while and watched all the air slowly rise. Did the other side and Shag me it worked. Brakes are mint.. Remember to hold your finger over the end at the top when you take the pipe off the nipple and let the excess run into the reservoir.. Not a bad way of doing it when your on your own..:thumbup:
Great idea!

I hope that's all it is too. My mech phoned me yesterday afternoon to tell me why we couldn't get the handbrake to work......one of the discs is cracked.....!!! new pair on order and 'should' be with me tomorrow...meanwhile it's blocking his ramp......unless he puts it all back together again!

I hope that's all it is too. My mech phoned me yesterday afternoon to tell me why we couldn't get the handbrake to work......one of the discs is cracked.....!!! new pair on order and 'should' be with me tomorrow...meanwhile it's blocking his ramp......unless he puts it all back together again!

“It never rains.... “ Steve :?

Not here it doesn't! When I get to Morocco in Feb, I might bloody well stay there

Ahead of you there Shayne, new shoes and fitting kit in the boot, as are new EBC green stuff pads too!
New winch, split charge system, 2 new Leisure batteries, a fix for the leaky fuel filler to sub tank (high up so not a major problem) and an oil service too! Ouch......he has had it for a week and a half......Probably put 5 days in it all together ..so far.....oh well, should be ready for Marocco in Feb!.....if it gets through the much tougher MOT we have here now ☹

I wish i could find somebody i felt confident was competent around here so count your blessings .

Er don’t use EBC green stuff awful pads and and not suited to cars as heavy as a Landcruiser.

And Morocco in Feb could well be cold and snowy if last years anything to go on. You’ll need thermals in the mountains!

Shut up! Too late, there on and I'm going! I hope there is a heatwave and the EBC pads are ultra stoppy...... can't be as bad as I have at the moment!........which tbf is air in the system somewhere..

Last month has been a lot warmer than last year. Weathers been weird everywhere

I've had soft pedal with new pads. They can bend due to ridged discs and cause soft pedal. A drive out with right foot on throttle and hard left foot braking beds them in pretty quick. It's so quick it's worth a try.

Er don’t use EBC green stuff awful pads and and not suited to cars as heavy as a Landcruiser.

And Morocco in Feb could well be cold and snowy if last years anything to go on. You’ll need thermals in the mountains!
I use EBC green in my 3.5 ton troppy and it stops ok

Back