Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Some questions

Qua-patet-orbis

Hello everyone,

Since a few months I've got infected with "The landcruiser virus":) I had a lot of questions but after a while you learn. I registered at a Dutch forum but not all of my questions are answered so here they come

I've bought a HZJ75 pickup '92 with a very good running 1hz engine. The strange thing about it is that this engine came without powersteering. The previous owner build in a powersteeringpump from a chevy. It works fine but I want to install AC but because of this pump the original compressor cannot be installed. I live in Aruba an it's very hard to find parts overhere. so when I went on a hollyday in the Netherlands I bought a secondhand original powersteeringpump. Back in Aruba I tried to install the pump but the place were the pump has to come is closed :( I can see 2 hole's without tread and the place were the gearingwheel should go trough. I can buy a new plate with a hole so the pump can be installed but I don't know if that's it. Is it plug and play or are there more parts needed inside? Does anybody know? I want to place a new timingbelt next week so if it's just plug and play I will consider to buy a new plate or let somebody drill a hole and make thread.

I also own a FJ70 with a 3F engine. I was told that the front axle is heavy duty and stronger than the one under te hzj75. The axle of the FJ70 is round and the one of the HZJ75 is square. Is it true that one is stronger than the other and will it fit?

Than I also own a FJ75 pickup, once imported from Venezuela. This car also has a frontaxle with a square shape. Because I broke my leafspring I took one from this car. I'm going to overhaul my car so if this axle is the same as the one of the HZJ75 I will use that one. I already took it of because I broke the leafsprings of the HZJ :doh:

When I bought the Hzj75 it came with an original extended bumper and a winch. I took it of, sandblasted, coated and painted all the parts. The winch also needs maintainance but toyota doesn't sell overhaul kits for their own winches. Does anyone know where I can buy this?

I hope to get some answers! greets

what year is the FJ70?
you can swap the large front diff into a vehicle with small front diff as long as it is leaf sprung on the front. so yes, you can swap it into your 1992.

i have never seen a 1HZ with no power steering so i can not help you there.

The FJ70 is from '92, all my LC's are. So it's true that the Axle from te FJ70 is stronger? Last night I searched and found some information about axles. I think the square axle on the HZJ and FJ75 are low-pinion diffs and the one from the FJ70 a high pinion. What about the ratio's? Will I notice it or is the difference so small that I won't notice?

About the 1hz without PS,...... stupid! I went to Toyota and even they were like ' no powersteering?!' Maybe I'll find an engine with PS so I can open it up and check for myself.

all the front diffs from 1990 onward are small front diffs.
if you want a heavy duty front diff for your 75 then you need 85-89 vintage 7* front diff.

Hmmm, maybe the previous owner of the FJ70 swapped the axles because there are some differences in size. I took some pictures and it's clear to see(don't know how to post them)

Do the axles have number and if so, where can I find them. Both axles are covered in tectile.

Some HZJ75 and other 7* series had no power steering,but if you have the parts it should be plug and play.Obviously you need the power steering box as well as the pump.
That front plate part#11301-17020 looks expensive,I may have a used one for sale .PM me if you are interested.
The pump attaches to the plate and runs off the gears inside.I could take some pics if you want.
I have a partially disassembled 1HZ in my shed.

In my opinion its not worth swapping the front diff,the smaller 8 inch front diff works fine.Unless you do something stupid,it is not going to break.Mine has 275000klms and no noise or leaks.
The diffs are all 4.11 ratio.
The HZJ75 front diff is high pinion and the older ones are low pinion,another reason to keep the smaller front diff.

What kind of winch is it,the PTO geardriven type or electric?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Qua-patet-orbis said:
Hmmm, maybe the previous owner of the FJ70 swapped the axles because there are some differences in size. I took some pictures and it's clear to see(don't know how to post them)

Do the axles have number and if so, where can I find them. Both axles are covered in tectile.

Your FJ70 was probably made in Veneuzala ,and they might have kept using the older style diff longer than the Japanese ones.
Just like they kept making the FJ62 until 1992.
Some of the Veneuzalan FJ70 also had GM diffs fitted instead of the Aisan diffs

Rosco, thanks for your reply. I've send a PM but it stays in muy outbox so I don't know if it comes trough, so you know. Thanx

PM's aren't like emails - they don't get 'sent', they get picked up by the recipient. The message will stay in your outbox until the recipient reads it.

Here is some pics of the plate for the power steering option.You can see the gears that the pumps runs off.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Some more pics of the plate removed from the engine showing the oil pump and drive gear

002mediumv.jpg

001mediuma.jpg

Back