Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Something 80 owners should check.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Noticed a small rusty patch seeping moisture.
Then noticed the rubber bung. Prodded it a bit and it starting dripping.
Pulled the bung out and about half a cup of water went right down my sleeve.
Better down my sleeve than trapped in my 80..
IMG_20191124_091458.jpg

IMG_20191124_091522.jpg
IMG_20191124_091507.jpg

Good find Mike!.. When i was working on the 12v, I drilled a small 5mm hole in the sill as close to the front wheel arch as possible.. Couldn't believe how much water was pouring out ..The whole sill from front to back must have been full of water.... "Keep checking those Bungs"...

Typically it's the sunroof drains that block up causing the sill to fill with water. They're 20mm slits up inside the sill and very tricky to find. The end of a zip tie is perfect for rodding them out.

Reactions: Bas
Sorry, not the cills. Look at the 2nd picture. It's the outside of the passenger foot well.

Sorry! Mine was just a water related story about sills/cills....?.......... Definitely Sills!

Last edited:
I think it was Julian who first relayed this story about the hidden cavity in that region or maybe it's another whole story. See what I did there ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good tip and thanks! As you mentioned pic no2... top right keep your eye on your fuel lines.. they're a bsrd to change and they like to rot around the mounting clips.. save them before you need to change them!:thumbup:

Ha ha. Well spotted! I keep meaning to spray some diesel on them..

LOL they self lubricate from the inside out! When it's too late! Seen two examples so far on early 81's Lol :thumbup:

ooh nasty repair also to take the panel thats below the wiper arms and check that the lower windscreen outer panel hasn't rusted through and making the wiper mounts loose! Seen that too!

Why put a hole in the bottom and then put a bung in it?

Don't know.
Same philosophy as the bungs in the cills?

Back