Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spare switched / ignition live point?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
Where can I tap into a decent switched / ignition live point. I fitted new seats and need an ignition live to go the the drivers seat.

I looked under the steering wheel at the fuse box but don’t see any spare tabs on the fuse box or metal links etc..,
The power cable is a thick enough wire on my seat, 2.5mm thick’s I guess so was hoping for a decent point at the fuse board.

Maybe the heater connection? This is a 60amp fused point available at the heater switch. Otherwise maybe run a breaker/fuse off the battery via a relay switched by the ignition.

The ignition switch also has switched ignition voltage of course but this is quite a low fuse IIRC.

. Otherwise maybe run a breaker/fuse off the battery via a relay switched by the ignition.

I'm not sure how to do that, I've wired in a standard 4 way repaly when I installed my spot lights but I'm not sure where I'd get the switched ignition for the relay as you suggest.

There's 2 cigarette lighters as standard in my colorado at the front centre panel, the lighters should have decent wiring I'm guessing seen as they're good for 120W as stated on 1 of them anyway. Maybe I should just tap into the cig lighter, I'm guessing these are switched live or are the permanent 12v?

I'm now half thinking of installing a spare fuse box and a little switch panel with usb ports in the cabin somewhere, I might make this new fuse box a switched power and then if adding any accessories in future I could just use this and keep the original wiring separate. I still need to find a switched source to connect up to this new fuse box though. If I run a wire direct from the battery to my "new" fuse box and put a switch on this wire in the cabin could I make the fuse box "switched" by doing this? It would only be switched on and off by my switch, it wouldn't be switched with the key, hmmmmm. And I'd have to remember to switch it on / off everytime.

Anyone got any pics of neat switch panels they installed or fuse boxes?
And any more ideas on where to get a switched live source?

Is this the only interior fuse box on a Colorado?

IMG-4355.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that's the only interior fuse panel. Got
Cig lighter would be a good idea if it can supply the current you need (10A). These are switched with the accessory position rather than ignition though.

Btw I have a factory wiring diagram if you want a copy PM me.

Yes that's the only interior fuse panel. Got
Cig lighter would be a good idea if it can supply the current you need (10A). These are switched with the accessory position rather than ignition though.

Cheers dude! :)
Yeah, by ignition switched, I just meant switched, acc switched is what I actually should of said, that'll do rightly for me. I'm just gonna run some usb's and the lumbar power to my drivers seat to this new fuse box so 10 amp should be fine I reckon. If I ever add other accessories they'll only be small like a camera or something so should suffice.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use a cigarette lighter socket for their intended purpose since the 1980s! ACC is good also as it cuts during crank not that you'd be adjusting your seat then!

Good luck!

Btw I have a factory wiring diagram if you want a copy PM me.

Cool, that'd be much appreciated :)

This might sound stupid but I can't see how to PM you? Is it the "start conversation" thing? Do you have to be a paid member to access the PM feature? I don't see the PM button / option?

Yep start conversation is PM its called progress :icon-rolleyes:

Wonder why Toyota didnt continue the Power outlet Box under the bonnet on the 80..... On to the 90 series ? Very handy that little Box...

If you have already wired in a relay before, why not wire in another one from the battery to your new fuse box and use the switched feed from your ciggy lighter to power it on. Put a fuse as close to the battery as you can and then fit your relay as normal. This would give you more than enough options for further accessories as you want to add them. I have this set up but use a voltage sensing relay instead of a switched feed. Powers my caravan feeds as well as a spare battery when going off grid camping.

What difference will that suggested set-up be to my suggested set-up of powering my new fuse box directly off the switched ciggy lighter live.
I'll end up with the same thing, a switched fuse box?
What's the advantage of adding in a relay for the extra effort involved? I'll have to start running wires in from the battery, etc,, and more wires going to the relay, what's the point?

Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious. :)

Not sure if you where thinking of powering your seats off that fuse box as well as extra bits and pieces. Didnt want you to overload your ciggy lighter feed. Maybe I misread what you meant as well.

@Steve H - Yeah, I am planning on powering the electric lumbar support of the seat from the new fusebox as well as just a couple of usb ports mainly. I'm guessing the ciggy lighter is a fairly thick wire that should mate the 2.5mm approx seat wire??? Maybe the ciggy wire is much lighter? Hmmmm!

That looks pretty neat plus gives you a very easy way of upgrading the feed to a higher current one if required.

Not sure if yours is the same as my Collie but the passenger side ciggy lighter is a power feed. Under the bonnet the fuse box says front power socket on the lid and is rated at 20amps. You could plug something into that socket and pull the fuse to check if it goes dead tomake sure we are talking about the same thing. Would this be enough for what you need to power everything? The rear power socket is also rated the same.

That's a helpful bit of info, I'll check that tomorrow. 20 amps would be ample. I'd forgot about the rear lighter, I'll have a look at that too.
When you say the passenger lighter is a power feed, in what way does the drivers side lighter differ? Is the drivers side lighter rated a lower amps, or is it shared with another circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
The drivers side is rated at ten amps I believe and has a proper ciggy lighter with a catch to hold the lighter in while it heats up. The passenger side doesn't have the catch inside, just the contacts. These sockets also have a fuse on the back where the wires connect. Its two insulating plates with a connecting fuse wire so if they blow and the fuse in the engine bay is still good its those that have gone. I took mine out and removed them after they went a couple of times and fitted another one in line where its easier to change instead of removing the socket from the dash. They are also ignition switched but I have wired my front one to permanent for nippers dvd player when he was younger. Stopped him moaning when I stopped for fuel and turned ignition off.

Back