Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spare tyre lowering tool

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
I went to investigate my spare tyre for the first time today..yes shame on me after 6yrs ownership
i haven’t got the tool that engages with the locking device for lowering the wheel down. I found a label with the ID NO 142002. Was that ID number for the locking wheel nut or the device that attaches to the bars that engages to release the spare wheel
Unrelated ..also the engine went into limp mode the other day with the engine management light went on . I stopped and restarted the engine , the engine management light went out and the car ran as normal. I got it plugged into the port under the drivers side and it read throttle position sensor. I had the fault deleted. The car has run fine for several days without issue. Would you all suggest changing the sensor just for piece of mind ?
I called my local Toyota dealer who wanted £1014 . I nearly fainted. Can anyone help
Many thanks all

The 'key' for the spare security device is usually in the tool kit? If not, and the security device is definitely present, I think you can bash it off to reveal the normal bayonet fitting - I think it's only a press fit.

Parts can usually be got cheaper from e.g. Amayama.com than local dealers. What year, engine etc is your truck? TPS is a common fault on the petrol engines so will likely keep recurring.

The 'key' for the spare wheel winch is a three-part crank handle, with a rounded end that fits the slot on the winch shaft.

So, any length of rod with a flat bar welded across the end and a Mole grip attached should lower the spare on its steel cable.

The winch is quite cunning, the gear wheel has to lift out of the locked position as you turn it - then it drops back into 'locked'. I have mine apart at the moment and had wondered what stopped it from just unravelling and dropping the wheel on the road.

Bob.

Thanks for your replies. My model is a series 100 4.2 td 2004

How do you get you hand to the device with the spare wheel in situe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Shayne. Yes I've got all those pieces in the kit bag. But there is literature in the bag showing a nother component that attaches onto one of the rods which is not the hook and infers that this missing component fits into the security device to lower the wheel. I thought the hook was for operating the jack . Ill have another look in daylight to see if the hook will do the job. It recommends making a note of the unlocking device which is ID NO 142002 KEY TOOL. Even though Toyota have no knowledge of it. Ill take a picture of the literature and post it as it may help
Many thanks again

20220907_111948.jpg

Attachments

• 20220907_111959.jpg
    20220907_111959.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 29
Is the security device still in place on the spare wheel winch? Quite possible a previous owner removed it and discarded the 'key tool' that literature is referring to. The winch part of the security device is a press fit onto the standard slotted receiver that the hook end engages with. Have a good look through the hole in the bumper with a torch.

Hi all
i did exactly that. I used a torch in daylight and I could see that the security devise had been removed in the past. As suggested all I had to do was use the hooked end attachment , insert it into the slotted opening and wind her down
Hence the security security lock missing from my kit
incidentally do any of you know or could post a picture of what actually should be in the tool roll ?

Do any of you wrap your spare wheel in anything bin liner ? At £180 for a Bridgestone from Costco , it seems a shame as I hope to never need to use it but the old one isn’t legal and hasn’t been for the last 6 years !

I’m still not sure if it’s worth tracking down a new TPS throttle position sensor or was it just a blip after I had a flat battery that caused it to go into limp mode. It was pin pointed with a diagnostic check and fault code deleted

thanks all once again
From Kieron in The Peak District

I've got all those pieces in the kit bag. But there is literature in the bag showing another component that attaches onto one of the rods which is not the hook and infers that this missing component fits into the security device to lower the wheel.

Well, that's a new one on me. Apologies, my post missed the point.

When I bought my 2001 '100' the spare was a mess with the alloy corroded. I had all five wheels powder coated but. eight years later, the spare is again becoming a mess :doh:.

I haven't tried wrapping it in anything which would be difficult owing to the wire hawser passing through the centre. With the road salt we get here I think it would rot quicker as the salt water would get in and stay there.

Bob.

Very true I’ll leave it uncovered and wash it regularly with my fancy Kercher under car cleaner.
kieron

Hi all
i received a reply from Toyota re the security device for the spare wheel a bargain at £360 not

Get under the truck and take a photo ,I'm thinking here you need to remove a part i've never seen so you can use the hook to unwind .

No need to protect rubber from anything but UV which is not an issue under the truck but Plastikote vids might be worth a look if you want to protect the wheel .

Cheers I’ll just let it all breath fresh air and salt

I don't think TPS faults are common on the diesels. Add in the flat battery you mentioned and I'd wait and see if it happens again before spending any money.

Thanks for that but as I know that the batteries have been in there for at least 6 years I've ordered a fresh pair from Costco total £222 ish . I've also treated myself to 2 battery condition gadgets. £20 each WiFi BT and all that through an app

As you say I think I’ll hold off on purchasing a new TPC

Back