Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spare Wheel Mechanism jammed

phillippdunn

The spare wheel mechanism is not working - maybe corroded. So I cannot use my spare wheel.

I have sprayed from the underside with Lanotec lubricant and left for 24 hours but no movement.

Any suggestions ??

phillipp dunn

Just to keep trying it back and forth really. You could try taking the weight off the wheel with a piece of wood and a jack. It's a crude mechanism with a chain that has to fit into a slot. A wire rope would have been better probably. Just make sure the end of the handle is genuinely in the slot of the winch. You cans sometimes moss and end up trying to turn the handle against the body of the winch rather than the centre of the spindle.

Like all good things in life, you need a little lubrication and some persuasion.

Lube with Plusgas (or similar) over a 48/72hr period. Also get that jack and wood under there to get the wheel moving if you can. Also, if you can find a way, get a hammer onto the mechanism and give some taps (maybe using a long screwdriver).

Just to keep trying it back and forth really. You could try taking the weight off the wheel with a piece of wood and a jack. It's a crude mechanism with a chain that has to fit into a slot. A wire rope would have been better probably. Just make sure the end of the handle is genuinely in the slot of the winch. You cans sometimes moss and end up trying to turn the handle against the body of the winch rather than the centre of the spindle.
:text-+1: On locating the handle right. It’s sometimes a right PITA to get the hook in there and the back and forth motion once in there should get it moving.

One question to ask, is the drive for the lowering device the hook type or the dedicated socket type ( like a locking wheel nut)?
If its the latter then be careful not to bugger it up with too much force.
It may be an option to remove the whole carrier with the wheel still attached from the inner chassis rails and sort it out on the bench. Heat will be your friend during this procedure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If all else fails just cut the bottom bracket off with a grinder and weld it back up when fixed or source a replacement. The spare wheel mechanism ranks along side the handbrake as another Toyota PITA.

You could try the trick of letting tyre pressure down enough to uncouple the bracket and remove the wheel for easy access.

You could try the trick of letting tyre pressure down enough to uncouple the bracket and remove the wheel for easy access.
Im with Towpack. Cut it off and start from fresh. I remember many a pickup in the past Spare wheel not touched for years. Then the day you need it...'Get the gas'.... Harry!

Took my brace / bracket right off, cut off the bolts then fitted a new one then refitted to chassis

Back