Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speeding and moving mobile camera vehicles

Paul_Humphreys said:
I do not know what speed you were doing. But I can tell you an 80 series will show 120 on the speedo when almost flat out with three people in it!!

Paul

And a bit more than that with a straight through exhaust (not that i've ever done it you understand)

Right then, fuel pump at the weekend is having some attention :twisted:

120.....? Book top speed is 105 for manual 24v and I'd guess a 12v is less. I'd also have thought a manual would run out of revs well before 120....?

Lorin said:
120.....? Book top speed is 105 for manual 24v and I'd guess a 12v is less. I'd also have thought a manual would run out of revs well before 120....?
Many years ago I got my previous 6 year old 80 auto up to an indicated 119 on the M25.
Chas

I don't think Muxley would get to 120... And if he did, I wouldn't like to be in him!!! :lol:

Well yes, I know this too Ecky, I have the ordinary toyo bog standard exhaust, nothing special
The problem with my 80 is that it is SO easy to speed in it, so from now on I'll be watching my speed very, very carefully.
If I haven't been caught out this time, I surely will in the future.
As far as I can tell l'Beast never runs out of revs, mind you its finely tuned up in the red rev area on the speedo, and its an auto not a manual. I have it retuned every few months.
I will say that, several years ago I did 122 with extra weight of approx 3/4 tonne of stuff. The volvo who overtook me with considerable difficulty was later promptly stopped by the police who were holding a hand-held speed camera that they'd obviosly switched on as we were approaching them.
Fuel pump Paul? Would that make a difference to max-out speeding? Not being au-fait with these kinds of things...
A tip: at speed its best being loaded though, and with a lower centre of gravity as possible, as it tends to move about a bit if unloaded... it scares people apparently, but not me.
I guess if you'd be running outsize tyres and have a high roofrack and tent, it could compromise the situation somewhat so I wouldn't recommend it. Accelleration is pretty neat on mine and is much quicker than people think, as they're full of stereotypes....
I had the revs adjusted again a couple of days ago again, it revs higher now, whether this would make a difference to top speeds I've yet to try out, but methinks, I'm not even going to try... the M4 and M5 are renowned for having boys in blue waiting at the sides for people who're speeding, especially in a white cruiser just like mine (washed again, so its nice and bright white again; easily seen against a darkening sky...)
And, yippee! due to Julians timely input/due care, attention and respect, it passed its MOT yesterday with flying colours - one advisory - the mechanic couldn't check the rear seats as they weren't in the car... it took 2 hours though -- he was very, very thorough and I, being me was on tenterhooks as ma baby was pawed, prodded, poked, feeled, dazzled, revved, etc. My mistake -- I got bored and wandered around the garage and then watched the entire MOT through the 'MOT viewing area'....
Cheers
Renate

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A tip: at speed its best being loaded though, and with a lower centre of gravity as possible, as it tends to move about a bit if unloaded... it scares people apparently, but not me.

Hi Renate, I got frightened reading your post :lol:

Are we talking KMH or MPH as my 80 only goe's to 110 mph on the calendar.

I have had mine up to 164kph (just over 100mph) on the GPS heading south from Benghazi on a new tarmac dual carraigeway type road, this was really loaded with fuel / water etc rooftent & over a dozen empty jerries on the roof!

I was having a burn up with another forum member & beat him!!! mine is intercooled & his wasnt at that time but is now!

I wouldn't worry, you won't have been going fast enough in an 80 to loose your license (pretty impressive if you could though) and I've gone past lots of speed vans on the move with no issue. If the weather is dry and visibility is good I've sailed past police cars doing more than the speed limit and they've not done anything.

Maybe I'm a wuss I get scared driving at 80mph in the LC80!!

I've done the speed bit Andy, also in Libya right across the country on the main coast road in the north from Ras Ajdir west to east fully loaded with stuff and with full jerries on the roof, the 170 ltr LRFT was full and also the normal 90 ltrs tank, so had plenty of fuel to play with... I don't know how I managed it but I squeezed just over 100 litrs in my normal fuel tank at stations in Libya a few times. L'beast lurves the Libyan diesel, and I do too as its so much cheaper than over here, and it still is according to the Sahara-Overland HUBB website.
And also from Adjdabiyah to Al khufra, well, not the over those corrugations obviously. At one point I did stop on the corrugations and reconsider my next move as they were a bit hard on l'Beast.
And its far easier to speed in Germany on the autobahns too (this is why I like driving in Europe). And Hungary's roads are good to drive fast on too. I've only been stopped once for speeding in Tunisia.
It might sound as if I'm bragging but I'm not, and I won't be speeding again in the UK for a while.
I guess however, if someone said that I could speed whenever I like and wouldn't be held accountable I'd do a great deal more probably.
I felt absolute crap that day, crushed, because there is a part of me who told me off...
Renate

Back