Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speeding and moving mobile camera vehicles

HauptRenate

Err guys,
Want some advice please.
I had some urgent business to attend to so I was driving down the M5, than I found myself behind a van that I initially thought was a Highways Maintenance van, as it had the usual diagonal red and yellow stripes down the back. I hadn't realised it was a speed camera van until I overtook it, then I saw the speed camera icons on th sides and the front. I looked down at my speedo thinking I was doing 70 and found that I was doing considerably more than the national speed limit for UK motorways. He then followed me for a little while, I'd guess, to get my number plate in focus. He was an otherwise unmarked white van, aside of the usual red and yellow diagonal lines on the back, with the exact same icons you get on traffic signs warning of a camera ahead.
My query is this, just so I'm certain:
If this is offical vehicle, and methinks it was, if I'm logged/clocked, than its a £120 fine (or more?), at least 6 points on my license (or more?) and being banned for a year, right?
I wouldn't expect any of you guys to have done this yourselves.
If so I'm f****d then arn't I?
Cheers
Renate

Those vans are stationary cameras i.e. They only operate when next to the road on a blind bend. He was probably on his way to lunch. Should be ok.

I may be wrong of course and you could be, well, ******

As for "getting your number plate in focus" - no chance. Instant. They don't need any time to focus, it's very quick.

As above, i think they are usually the ones who are stationary but moving from site to site

HauptRenate said:
Err guys, thinking I was doing 70 and found that I was doing considerably more than the national speed limit for UK motorways.
Cheers
Renate
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I don't think those vans are certified to measure speed while they are moving themselves. They are subject to fairly strict setup and operating procedures.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
fridayman said:
I don't think those vans are certified to measure speed while they are moving themselves. They are subject to fairly strict setup and operating procedures.
Police patrol cars can measure speed while they are moving :thumbdown: , so why not the vans?
Chas

I reckon the bloke was just trying to put the wind up you ;) As has been mentioned, to measure speed from a moving vehicle requires very precise calibration - it seems unlikely that these vans are set up to do this.
Same mentality as a parking warden when he realises that you've pulled out just before he can issue you a ticket :shifty:

Cossack said:
fridayman said:
Police patrol cars can measure speed while they are moving :thumbdown: , so why not the vans?
Chas

They have different types of equipment.

My understanding is that the camera vans are not operated by the police. The camera partnership is a private company that contracts to the police. Therefore, the van was being driven by a civilian. Also, vans are not pursuit vehicles and therefore cannot "pursue" another vehicle.

At least, that's what I think....

Hi Guys
Thanks so much for all your responses - I'm still waiting for that phone call, text, email, letter, or boys in blue at my door...
When I say considerably above the speed limit, I mean just this. MOT is tomorrow so was just trying out some new diesel engine/injection cleaning fluid I'd been recommended, so I'd floored it in 'D' - so you can make your own deductions as to the most likly speed...

Camera vans are not designed to be used whilst the vehcle is in motion so he was probably trying to scare you. If they try to summons you for speeding then take it to your solicitor and also ask the camera unit for the photograph as they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

If a camera van is not legally parked, prewarned (usually very small fold out signs) in full sight of the road and within 1 mile of the target then any summons or speeding tickets issued are not legal. Also if the van is run by a local roads authority (in scotland anyway) they must abide by the same rules as the safety camera partnership but must have orange beacons flashing while the camera is in use.

Even the police have to abide by strict regulations when targeting motorists for speeding.

Unless this was a police patrol traffic division motor then you will be in the clear....that is unless they have introduced new rules since I had a chat with my traffic division mate 2 weeks ago. :thumbup:

Right, mind at rest time.

These vans are definately only used whilst static. They are also not calibrated, so cannot give an accurate measure of your speed whilst moving. It is generally only traffic, armed response and ANPR cars that are callibrated so the majority of police cars are not :!:
Our van gets used for alsorts and it may well have a civvy behind the wheel and not a PC. Ours gets used by me to go and collect gear from other police stations if there are no others available. I love watching people suddenly slow down when they see the markings. A good visual deterent wouldn't you agree :?:

If it was a PC, about all he could do is radio it in and hope there is a traffic unit further down the road to try and get you.
Consider it a lesson well learnt and try and be a little more aware in the future :naughty:

Well Gav, I was doing considerably more than xx... I'd floored it -- and I REALLY hope there are no police on this forum...
I'd been SO good recently,watching the pennies and saving fuel... just a careless error on my part.
Cheers Renate

{Admin edit: This IS a public forum, so I took the liberty of removing some of your admission of guilt ;) }

Yes Paul, I only have an 80 series, and it is me who is the only one who drives it.
Cheers
Renate

Really must look at mine, i'm nearly flat out at the speed you say you floored it from

Paul said:
Really must look at mine, i'm nearly flat out at the speed you say you floored it from

I wondered why you where stuck behind that horse box on the way back from the Plain :whistle:

I do not know what speed you were doing. But I can tell you an 80 series will show 120 on the speedo when almost flat out with three people in it!!

Paul

Back