Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speedo works, trip counters not

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
Hi All,

Mama's car just got back from the panel-beaters and during a test run I noticed the KM counters don't turn although the speedo reads just fine.
I stripped out the meters and I see that the speedo gets an electronic input, no speedo cable. I assume there is some motor driven doohickey inside turning the counters in the meter itself.
Can the meter be fixed or is it time to replace?

Steve

Hi, overtime plastics get weak and break. This happened to me and if you take it apart you most likely will see where the break is. Possible may be able to clue it depending on the part. Mine was the plastic holder for the cog so having a spare unit just replaced it otherwise would have clued it to test.

I had the meter apart but these old eyes couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Anyone have a spare for sale?

If you didn’t separate the dial facer you won’t be able to get to the back where you undo to break open. If I remember correctly this is what I did and slowly opening revealed the broken piece that didn’t hold the cog so bypassing the reading.

This write up may be helpful to you.

Last edited:
Thanks, the article is certainly helpful. I got as far as stripping out the gauge but was very wary about removing the pointer, s stopped there. I'll try again soon.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
couldn't get mine seperated with needle and didn't want to force. Will look to try again at some stage but will pickup a donated Camry or Corolla piece (on the basis one of those trip meters may work

Back