Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speedometer not working

Neal Guthrie

So my Speedometer in my 1998 V6 95 works intermittently. There is no pattern to its workings but the last few days it has not worked. I have searched the forum and cant seem to find a thread that deals with this.....
i have researched the parts and it either in the cluster or gearbox.... has anyone dealt with this issue or is there a common problem and the fix is easy diagnosed?

Thanks in advance

I don't know if this helps with your 90 but I had exactly the same problem recently in my 80, turned out to be a failed transponder.

Does the transponder not have something to do with the starting of the vehicle?

regards.

Does the transponder not have something to do with the starting of the vehicle?

regards.

I've got no idea about that, but while Julian was doing some work on my truck I asked him to have a look at my non-working speedo and he changed the transponder and hey presto it worked. :dance:

I've got no idea about that, but while Julian was doing some work on my truck I asked him to have a look at my non-working speedo and he changed the transponder and hey presto it worked. :dance:
I think you mean transducer Chas :icon-wink: The speedo pickup (transducer) is the most common cause of electronic speedo problems. Might be worth checking it is getting power before replacing it.

That's probably it Jon, my old memory failing. :character-oldtimer:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah...now the Transducer sits on the actual Gear box and i correct? Will it have an electrical connection to it that i can place a meter on there and see if we're getting power to that transducer? Its Bucketing down here and cant climb under the vehicle right now. some time there is a little plastic gear there that gets worn....
i hope this is an easy fix!

Yep on the box, usually 3 wires to it, one each for +ve, 0v to power it and speed pulse it generates. Could be plastic gear failure, or the internal electronics, or something else completely, like a rat has chewed through part of your wiring loom!

Back