Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spill control valve issue

bams

Country Flag
uk
Hi I have a 100 series diesel manual 2002 4.2 gx amazon and have an issue with the spill control valve and the connectors. Any idea how I can get this fixed?

Long story but was driving and inital fault with cutting out abd black smoke. The mechanic thought it was erg valve then mechanic thought it was pump issue so changed pump for recon pump. Was working OK but now cutting out again and white smoke abd when you start it seems like its stalling. Leave it awhile then it works fine intermittent fault. Different garage now think wire is loose on spill control valve on the connectors but cannot get the connectors anymore ??

The SCV doesn't need any particular type of plug, as long as it can take a moderate voltage and current.. Normal flat spade connectors are OK, if they are of good quality and you seal them well. There are 2 types of original connectors used on the HDJ100, and your 2002 might have either. If the male plug is OK, you can use 2 female spade connectors of the narrow type (~3 mm iirc); they will fit the original plug.

Another connection which is equally important is the body/ground connection of the SCV driver, the EDU. It often starts corroding, so unscrewing, cleaning and fastening it well is always good.
The EDU sends very short, powerful pulses to the SCV, which require all the connectors from +12v, 0v, and to the valve to be in a very good shape.
The problem with the original plug is that the females are not really tight and strong enough to handle the type of pulsing current running through them.

There is a previous thread on the subject, somewhere, even with pics, iirc.

Thanks for thar information. So useful and really appreciate it. Have sent details to the mechanic

Had the same issue with mine. The plug breaks down, is a known error and toyota can do a fix. However you can also crimp in a seal your own spade connectors or source a plug with tails from a breaker.

@uHu If I understand correctly its a safety function to cut out the fuel supply, surely in a get you home fix you could link the 2 wires together?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IIUC, the SCV (Spill Control Valve, also called SPill Valve or SPV) controls the volume of fuel injected for each and every time one injector fires. The radial pump builds up pressure for each injection, increasing pressure until the injector opens, then the SCV will open up a passage back to the low pressure side in order to stop the injection of fuel, thus controlling the volume.
So, the SCV is very busy, opening and closing 3 times for every revolution of an i6 engine. With the steep 150 v pulses, if there is any abnormal resistance in any plug or connector between SCV, EDU and power supply (0 volt (ground) and +12 volt), the SCV will start malfunctioning.

Would anyone know where I could get some new connectors ?

@uHu thanks that's completely different to how I thought it worked. Thanks for the education :thumbup:

@bams a breaker maybe able to help @karl webster might be able to help or try Garry at 80 breakers. I did see somewhere, but can't find it now, where you can by the plugs from. But a couple of spare connectors and a flexible sealant will work just as well.

Thanks everyone for info.. The garage have fixed the issue changing the spade connections.

IIUC, the SCV (Spill Control Valve, also called SPill Valve or SPV) controls the volume of fuel injected for each and every time one injector fires. The radial pump builds up pressure for each injection, increasing pressure until the injector opens, then the SCV will open up a passage back to the low pressure side in order to stop the injection of fuel, thus controlling the volume.
So, the SCV is very busy, opening and closing 3 times for every revolution of an i6 engine. With the steep 150 v pulses, if there is any abnormal resistance in any plug or connector between SCV, EDU and power supply (0 volt (ground) and +12 volt), the SCV will start malfunctioning.
Spot on, good description
Would anyone know where I could get some new connectors ?
All plugs throughout the vehicle are available new from Toyota. Part numbers are in the service manual NOT the paths listings

Back