Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Split rims on 80 picture request

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Considering moving away from black modular wheels and going for a set of split rims that came up local-ish on fb marketplace.

Any pictures of 80’s with similar wheels?

Attachments

• A168A3AD-D810-4D32-8763-B9D7EED5AB8A.png
    A168A3AD-D810-4D32-8763-B9D7EED5AB8A.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
If you google (80 series Land Cruiser on split wheel rims) there are some images... Also on IH8 Mud forum,..... I think thats where the google images came from

They don't look like split rims, just regular modulars (though I could be wrong!)...

All I’m getting on google is steel wheels/ bead lock things.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I went that route with steels , after grinding until they fit there was only a sheet of paper width between caliper and wheel and to grind any more was to weaken the caliper .

New caliper -44 offset steels and wheel spacers meant i had to buy much wider arch flares . My wheels are 16x10 though

I should add the grinding route is wheel specific which is to say it might work with some but it definitely won't work with others and the only way to tell is to test fit .

Last edited:
You will have to swap or grind the front calipers too seeing as your GS will have the bigger front brakes if you fit 15inch wheels...

"spit rims" will not find many pictures as split rims are normally used on off road vehicles or ones with tyres that have very thick side walls..... think the entire wheel or at least one side of the rim unbolts or is held in place by a beadlock ring , often on military vehicles the rim retaining nuts are painted red so they are not undone by someone trying to remove a wheel , this can literally be a fatal mistake !

You can't have tubeless split rims

not your model but
16 x 9 Raguna Japanese split rims
i moved back to these after having steel wheels, it made a good improvement to braking/steering with the less rotating mass and look better.

20160203_142751.jpg

Raguna !

Thats what they are , i recognized them but could not remember the name . Damn those faceache ones are probably ideal for me but i've no money for toys right now :violin:

You will have to swap or grind the front calipers too seeing as your GS will have the bigger front brakes if you fit 15inch wheels...
Oh I didn’t know that. I have just fitted new front calipers/ discs/ 100 series pads.

Sounds like I will knock the 15” idea on the head if it means messing with 4 callipers.

H
Raguna !

Thats what they are , i recognized them but could not remember the name . Damn those faceache ones are probably ideal for me but i've no money for toys right now :violin:
Thanks, few more bits on google images with that name.

Said wheels and 31” cooper tyres and in Inverness for £650…

I think the wheels alone would be alright around the £300 mark, but I could get new steel 16x10 for that (another FS advert)

Back