Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sporadic Starting

Country Flag
uk
Recently my 97 diesel Collie has had intermittent starting problem I.e. turn the key and either get nothing or the starter motor just turns for a fraction of a second. I initially thought it was the starter motor or a poor electrical connection, however I took it down to my local mechanic and he tried waggling the key in the ignition switch and it seemed to start ok, in fact he tried it about a dozen times and it started fine each time. So I was wondering are the ignition switch/barrel prone to being troublesome. I realise that this is a 25 year old vehicle and it may just be wear and tear but I’m aware that some Ford ignition switches are very prone to this.

My money would be on the starter solenoid contacts being worn out. Not heard of any problems with the electrical side of the ignition switch. Repair kits are cheap and not too hard to fit if it is that. Could stick a multimeter on the solenoid feed to see if it is receiving constant power in the crank position.

Nice pics in this thread

Thanks for the info guys. At the moment it seems to be behaving itself ( famous last words ). I’ll see how it goes for now and hope I wont need the big yellow taxi !

To close off this thread, testing has shown that the solenoid is faulty so when the starter motor comes off and if it’s the original Toyota one I’ll get the complete unit overhauled as there is a really good Auto electrical place nearby.

Back