Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spot lights vs light bar??

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I've been considering a pair of spotties to go on my ARB bumper (probably a pair of Lightforce Strikers or similar). Probably not HID due to the warm-up time of the bulbs - so no good for flashing on-coming nutters with their brights on :twisted: . But I'm also tempted by the LED light bars - what's the deal with those - do they throw a decent beam or is it all glow and no go? I've struggled to find anything really definitive on range, light width,etc.

Anyone got one / used one with any comments, good or bad?

Cheers

I have a LED 47"beam bar on the ML very happy with it...

led1-2.jpg

For the 75 I decided on individual units 27W (purchased from China) also very happy with them.

100_0474.jpg

I took off the HID's for the same reason you indicated the warm up time was the problem, but with LED it's instant light.

Gary Stockton said:
I've been considering a pair of spotties to go on my ARB bumper (probably a pair of Lightforce Strikers or similar). Probably not HID due to the warm-up time of the bulbs - so no good for flashing on-coming nutters with their brights on :twisted: . But I'm also tempted by the LED light bars - what's the deal with those - do they throw a decent beam or is it all glow and no go? I've struggled to find anything really definitive on range, light width,etc.

Anyone got one / used one with any comments, good or bad?

Cheers
Hi Gary,

I have looked at about 4-5 of these led light bars, of different lengths.
They are not bad, but no where near as good as what I see a pair of conventional halogen driving lamps.
I wouldn't go for the pencil beam spot lights, or the wide beam fog light type.
A half decent set of 55w halogen driving lights will set back about £70 to £100
The led light bars for that price are a very poor second place.
They don't seem to throw a set beam of light, the light just seems to scatter every where.
They would be good for off road night time jaunts, where your only doing say 20 mph.
Maybe in a year or two, they will improve, but for now, I would just go with the driving lights.

Gra.

Hey Gary,

You could always wait till Lincomb and have a look at these bad boys that will be gracing my 80 soon... :cool:

DSC_0024.jpg

Are they the new interior lights man?? :lol:

i take it you're not planning much daytime running at Lincomb... :p

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ya, the small ones are for the front so I can read maps and the long one is going in to the boot under the upper gate so I can find the rum.

No half measures here. Hopefully I'll have the flame thrower in time, cause you know I like my chicken crispy. Hmmmm....

:lol: look interesting. More details?? Are those the Lazer ones?

Hey Gary,

Not the lazer ones.

I organised these through a contact in SA that is a LED light distributer. I can get hold of more of them if anyone is interested. I haven't given them a go yet so can't comment on light out put yet but they do seem well built and very solid.

I can dig out the specs on them in a bit if you want.

Ryan

Those look very nice, as the laser ones are very expensive, could you supply us with your contact and are they alot cheaper?

Those look very nice, as the laser ones are very expensive, could you supply us with your contact and are they alot cheaper?

Hey Batfink, Sorry for the late reply. I didn't want to comment on these lights until I had tried these out myself. You can see pics here for comparrison: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/40496-October-2010-Ryan-s-80/page2

I don't have his contacts details but can organize more lights through him.

Landed costs in the UK the lights came in at the following prices:
1. The 40" LED light bar: 240 watt light output, 30000hr life span, IP67 rated, Spot or Beam light pattern, Current Draw: 16amp@12V/8amp@24V - £350
2. The 10" SR LED light bar: 30 Watt light output, 30000hr life span, IP67 rated, Spot or Beam, Current Draw: 2.4amp@12V/1.12amp@24V - £85
3. The Square LED Spot: 16 Watt, 30000hr life span, IP67 rated, Spot, Current Draw: 1.34amp@12V/0.67amp@24V - £60
4. The Square LED Worklight: 40 Watt, 30000hr life span, IP67, Flood, Current Draw: 3amp@12V/1.5amp@24V - £70

There are other size lights available. If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

Ryan

Having been dazzled by the lights, Ryan, have you got details to share on the 40" bar to go on the roofrack? Can you get them with floods on the edge section and spots in the middle section, or is it one or the other?

Cheers

If we go for a group buy count me in as i would want a 30" bar and maybe some smaller ones

Having been dazzled by the lights, Ryan, have you got details to share on the 40" bar to go on the roofrack? Can you get them with floods on the edge section and spots in the middle section, or is it one or the other?

Cheers

Hey Gary,

I've sent my mate an email regarding the light pattern options, they don't list a combination bar but I'll let him query it and will let you know what he comes back with.

With regards to lengths available you can get them in 40"; 30"; 20"; 15" & 7.5".

The tech details I have for the 40" are:
. LED Power: 240W
. Operating Voltage: 10-30V DC
. Waterproof rate: IP 67
. 80pcs*3w high intensity LEDs
. Current draw 16A @ 12V,8A @ 24V
. Optional Color: Black,White
. Color Temperature: 6000K
. Material: Diecast aluminum housing
. Lens material: Toughened glass
. Mounting Bracket: Alu firm bracket
. Opitonal Beam: Flood beam pattern(60 degree).Spot beam pattern(30 degree)
. 30000 hours above life time
Dimensions:41.5 inch

If there are any other spicifics you want to know let me know and I'll find out.

Ryan

Cheers Ryan - sounds good - and price I assume is per your earlier post?

And just noticed the last part of your signature - after Saturday, you may need to alter that :icon-biggrin:

Ya, I think I got enough to keep me going for while now. The local jet wash, much to their dismay, now has plenty in stock too!

Well I just heard back and they can do them in a combo pattern. I double checked pricing with him and it would be as per above.

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
So not to start another thread on light bars I thought it best to ask here. How have you guys wired up your light bars? Do they have a dedicated on off switch or are the wired to your bright’s and if so do they "like" being switched on and off as one does with your bright lights whilst driving.

My hope is to have a three way rocker switch with off/on/on with bright’s, if that makes sense.

Technically that would be an illegal wiring option as auxilliary headlights must turn off with high beam but its one I have see before (though more usually as an on/off/on with highbeam arrangement).

Just be aware that a diligent MOT tester could fail you for it.

Just be aware that a diligent MOT tester could fail you for it.

But if the spots were removed before an MOT they can't be tested, not that I am advising you to do that of course. :icon-wink:

Back