Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

spray bottle test

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Has anyone done the water bottle spray test in the air intake to clean the pistons from dirt.
Just want to no if the EML light comes on because of the maf sensor location and does this test actually work as have seen clips on youtube but never for a landcruiser.:text-feedback:

Well firstly there's no maf sensor on these, but the one you're referring to is quite similar but a lot more basic. You can unplug it and run the engine no problem.

I've seen similar tests and it does show to work.... However I don't think it's worth your time and the risk of potentially doing any damage. I've had the head off my engine after about 190,000 miles and there was no carbon build up on the pistons.

What might work better is giving it a thrash/blast up the motorway. I once failed the mot emissions a few years back, so told the guy I'll be right back. Took it for a nice high speed run and came back and re-did the test. Of course she passed with flying colours.

To add to this, if it ain't broke...don't fix it

Thanks guys as just wanted to no if performance can be achieved by such a simple test .:text-thankyoublue:

Old diesels are work horses Tony and pottering around town is not what they are made to do and it needs to go past 2500rpm now and then to spit out the crap that accumulates . It might seem buses or old fishing trawlers potter but look at the weight they are shifting , they get thrashed just getting up to speed .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Old diesels are work horses Tony and pottering around town is not what they are made to do it and needs to go past 2500rpm now and then to spit out the crap that accumulates . It might seem buses or old fishing trawlers potter but look at the weight they are shifting , they get thrashed just getting up to speed .

The end of the last sentence looks appropriate for me ... :shifty:

Dosent Toyota put the 1hz in a bus as well as the landcruisers? Maybe in marine roles too.

Dosent Toyota put the 1hz in a bus as well as the landcruisers? Maybe in marine roles too.

NO TOYOTA ENGINE IN BUSES SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT OF A BUS AND FUEL ECONOMY IS ALWAYS IN SINGLE FIGURES LIKE BETWEEN 3mpg being a fully loaded bus and around 9mpg being empty.
I work with buses and trust me if toyota make bus engines my landcruiser is going cos the amount of oil leaks and water leaks and emmision sensors that cause break downs is unrealistic.
I'm talking about 2014 2015 buses with lots of faults but they do run all day and night tho.
Can't speak for boats.
Think volve have abig say in bus engines.

NO TOYOTA ENGINE IN BUSES SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT OF A BUS AND FUEL ECONOMY IS ALWAYS IN SINGLE FIGURES LIKE BETWEEN 3mpg being a fully loaded bus and around 9mpg being empty.
I work with buses and trust me if toyota make bus engines my landcruiser is going cos the amount of oil leaks and water leaks and emmision sensors that cause break downs is unrealistic.
I'm talking about 2014 2015 buses with lots of faults but they do run all day and night tho.
Can't speak for boats.
Think volve have abig say in bus engines.

Seriously? A modern bus does 3-9mpg??? I'd always guessed it was low, but that's a shocker.

Pretty sure they had a marine version of the engine, as well as the 1kz as well, but it did have different internals (stronger bits).

And I think toyota did have the 1hz in some kind of bus. could be wrong...

Toyota Coaster is what they call it...Probably pretty rare. Would make a great overland vehicle though.

Toyota_Coaster_(School_bus).jpg

Old diesels are work horses Tony and pottering around town is not what they are made to do and it needs to go past 2500rpm now and then to spit out the crap that accumulates . It might seem buses or old fishing trawlers potter but look at the weight they are shifting , they get thrashed just getting up to speed .

Well shayne you said give my car a blast so on my way home same as every nite i decided to put my foot down and took it to 90mph but dont go down to well with mud tyres but still had power to spare .

My car is like me as when going to work first thing it just potters to work but when i finish work it seems like a new car and wants to get you home quicker.

PS:smirk: building my tool collection up for next week to do my egr blank.
new spanners
new bolt remover set
blank kit
just need sunshine not rain.:sunglasses:

Toyota Coaster is what they call it...Probably pretty rare. Would make a great overland vehicle though.

Toyota_Coaster_(School_bus).jpg

never seen one of them here any way but remember your lc90 carries 8 people so yes a mini bus is very possible.:text-coolphotos:

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge when your doing them speeds mate and be warned the gauge is crap because Toyota in their wisdom put a blank spot between about 80 and 90 degrees so the needle won't move until your knocking on dangers door .

Seriously? A modern bus does 3-9mpg??? I'd always guessed it was low, but that's a shocker.

Yes and its all because of an emmision sensor built into the engine and comes up on the dash as an exhaust blowing fumes out but still drives but has to work harder so uses more fuel.
just got a fleet of hybrid double decker's this week and at around 10,,,15mph when breaking the whole bus jerks as cant change from diesel to electric at low speed.
Before you ask it costs £100s to replace the sensor hence low fuel mpg and means time off the road.
Buses run on add blue and diesel .

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge when your doing them speeds mate and be warned the gauge is crap because Toyota in their wisdom put a blank spot between about 80 and 90 degrees so the needle won't move until your knocking on dangers door .
My needle never moves from just on a quarter at temp if i have the heating on that is.
If no heating it goes to half and back down again to quater .
I have read about the fantom overheating when towing and it makes you wonder if your ever put in that situation is my car upto the job.
It not all 1kzte engines i presume but if all factory made it has to be unless a bad batch got though
or just poeple never tow and never no.
I have never towed but i did load up with around 2.5t of paveing flags and it coped like it was empty i mean i never noticed much difference until braking.
my top and bottom hoses get hot as think thats how it should be.

Your dash temperature gauge goes up when you have heating on ?

strange that having your heater on gives you actual movement in the gauge, I've never experienced this. It kinda sounds like your thermostat is stuck open!

hmm 2.5 ton is a hefty amount to stick in the back of these, you sure about that? It takes about half a ton to get the suspension bottoming. I've probably hauled close to a ton max on the rear axle and that was short distance. By the way gross weight for these trucks is about 3.5 ton I believe. That means about 800kg including fuel and people.

Back