Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Squeaky Sun Visors

Colorado1997

Country Flag
united_states
My 2003 Land Cruiser sun visors squeak SO, SO loud when pulling down and folding up. They work fine, but the noise is quite annoying. Can anyone suggest a fix? Thanks.
Colorado1997

Last edited:
Strange question , instantly made me think "just oil it" which led to how the hell do you oil a sun visor without making a mess :think: I will be looking at mine today just because i can't think beyond I'd have to remove it to get some lubrication only where it needs to be and nowhere else ?

I have experienced this before and iirc I was able to take the visor off from the headling but then partly disassemble it to and get some lubricant in there. Just something simple like silcone spray, houshold polish or similar. It does not heed EP 90 Hypoid rear axle oil.

Furniture wax

10 years later the drawer still doesn't groan and the pull out ironing board doesn't screech so yeah furniture wax or french polish whatever it was i found in a rusty tin in the shed lasts .

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I also thought of oils or some version of WD 40, but apprehensive of leaks or staining the visor.

Stay away from things like WD40. Use something neutral.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was able to pull out the sun visor rod ( about six inches), then located some old silicone spray. Soaked it on a rag and then rubbed the exposed sun visor rod and then let it sit. It seems to have helped without having to remove the entire visor. Also, no stains on the material was a bonus. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Attachments

• 90BD62EB-ADBF-45B8-8EE7-395D52F5D4D7.jpeg
    90BD62EB-ADBF-45B8-8EE7-395D52F5D4D7.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 33
Yeah the trouble with petroleum based products isn't just mess its the smell, unpleasant at the best of times.

My philishave wet n dry rotary face mower was starting to slow up a little and needed a deep clean anyway to remove the soap scum that gets ingrained, so opened it up and fed a little swarfega duck oil lube into the inner gears, now every time i shave can smell the dratted stuff, stink lasting longer than bleeding waxoyl used to.

Back