Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stainless Exhaust......

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Hi folks - fancy getting a stainless exhaust for the old gal - can anyone enlighten me what size I should go for, if it was header down? 2.5" or 3"
I dont want a teenagers VW loud sound, but a little rumbly would be nice :)
Also, can anyone recomend a manufacture while you wait company, pref around Doncaster, or driving distance of Gainsborough?

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Go for a 3" mate and get them to add a silencer.

It really allows the turbo to pick up a lot faster.

No idea who to get one from as I made mine.

I went for a custom fabricated 3 inch to the side mounted with also a 3.5 inch or so fabricated piece from the turbo back Steve. Happy with the quality and workmanship just saved a few pennies not having it going over to the rear.

IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0551.JPG

Hi Steve,
May be worth a conversation with JPexhausts in Macclesfield - they manufacture a wide range of SS exhausts. www.jpexhausts.co.uk/
The old guy who did mine (also in Macc) has long since retired.

Regards,
Rodger

Cheers chaps I like the side exit idea......i will email JP later Rodger, Macclesfield is do able from where we will be early December

Great site this

Make sure you say 3" bolted direct to the turbo - you will think someone changed the engine :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So best to poke out the side before the axle then anyone with a 95 done this?

Last edited:
Little point going 3" when the turbo casting bit is only 2.25". I know that Beaudesert make a 3" replacement. I chopped all the gubbins out of the std exhaust on Lil Blue and went 2.25" all the way and it did make a very big difference. I'm not convinced that simply putting bigger pipe on is worth it. It's more about flow, design and restrictions. You said Doncaster area - Gary has a tame exhaust Guru up near York, which I think you'll find is quite close to Donny

interesting....2.25 inch? would be a bit cheaper from the SS usage :) Gary, where are you? pm the details if you dont want them public :)

Did someone call?!

Near York in pocklington is csk fabrications, Charlie is very good and can make you a custom system, he gets well booked up for a reason. He made the front part of my system.
http://www.cskraceexhausts.co.uk/
He also has a Facebook page which has lots of examples of his work.
If I'd have known about him at the time i would've got the rest done there too.

I know a lot of people who have taken their vehicles to him, 4x4's to race prepped cars.

The original cat back side exit I had done was at http://www.tonybanks.co.uk/ Leeds.
Again couldn't fault their work and still can't, when it was done I had an issue with knocking on the chassis, one quick phone call and an hour's visit had it re shaped plus an extra mount, lots of apologies and never had another problem.

Again know people who've had their vehicles done there without a problem.

If I had to choose I'd go to csk, he's quite a perfectionist and it's his own business so wants every job to be as good as the last.
Again not a bad word to say about tony banks.

Also get a bus/taxi into pocklington town centre, go to http://www.beckymackenziehomemadecakes.co.uk/ for some great cakes and have a nice walk round http://www.burnbyhallgardens.com/
Even in winter it's nice place and has a nice cafe. We take the kids regularly.

The guy that's made our exhausts in the past (one on our 67 barracuda, my van, a 70s dodge dart etc. Very good too) I asked him about this. I asked if I should put a 3 inch on my van or the cruiser and he basically said there's no point. Unless you're running 400bhp plus you won't actually gain anything. The only thing that gains is the cost to have it paid. I agree with you Chris, 2.25 inch is plenty for the car and the exhaust man said the same.That's what mine is on my van with a small silencer and it sounds mint. Will save you a bit anyway

I have a 2.5" system with 2.25" downpipes (have 2 of them), possibly a larger silencer then those with diesels and a pair of free flow cats.

When i had turbo diesel motors I had 2.5" from the turbo with a small silencer, lots of fuel and 28psi boost.

A friend has a 4"system but that car has 750hp!!

The cakes are good :icon-biggrin: the industrial estate isn't too far from town and would be an option to keep occupied if you decide to use csk.
He might ask for a few pics etc to give a price and to give an idea of what he'll make.

Back