Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter Motor 1994 4.2 Diesel Auto

VX on the bay

Country Flag
ireland
Hi all and hope the new year is treating you well.
Leaving the Petrol Station today and as I turned the key just a clicking. She wouldn't start.
5 mins it started first 1/2 turn normal. Got home same sad clicking noise not starting.
Is this the end of my starter or can it be repaired or reconditioned?
Any advice really appreciated….
Thanks in advance.

Before you condemn the starter itself check the large copper solenoid contacts for deterioration. It's a known issue and an easy fix.

There is a lot to change the slim contacts to much wider ones which is very easy to fit. BUT, make certain you use a low strength studloc (Loctite) on the three cover screws or one day your truck may well catch fire when it all falls to bits! Ask me how I know!

Might be loose/corroded battery terminals. Or Toyota do a recon/contact kit for very little money if you decide it's the starter motor. A common problem but as SC says lock those 3 little screws in.

It sounds like the contacts in the starter solenoid, I did mine over the Christmas holidays just as a precausionary measure, my 100 had near 200k miles and I believe the original unit, so I felt it was due.
I purchased the correct kit from eBay for less than £20 posted, its basically the copper contact set so I felt OK going non genuine, once the starter is off its a very easy fix.
While my starter was on the bench I stripped it out and cleaned the checked the brushes, lubed the bearings, greased the drive gears and gave everything a birthday.
Lastly there are quite a few Youtube videos on how to overhaul the Denso starters.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done guys… Took me a while to get round to it. Was indeed the solenoid contacts.
After charging up the batteries, cruiser is starting on the half turn once again.

Back