Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter motor for PETROL 80

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Looking for starter motor for FJ80.

Anyone on here got one?

Thx

Was it failing do turn with the key Lazz? I've just had a problem with my V6 petrol. I thought the starter needed replacement but it was only the main terminal on the starter needed a rough up with emery for an immediate remedy.
Worth a try .

Thanks Andy, I've pretty much exhausted all the know solutions. As you know the petrol doesn't have sep starter relay and the solenoid is part of the starter.

Battery is ok
Cables all ok
Terminals oll ok
Fuse link ok
Not EFI relay
Not neutral safety switch.

Been working fine until this week, when I get "click" "click" with key; after several attempts it fires. Sometimes need half dozen attempts , other times just once.

Have I missed something?

click click intermittent starting is usually the contacts inside the starter solenoid which can be replaced quite easily and cheaply.

Id agree with Jon here replace the contacts and you should be a tune. Sounds like they are sticking

Thanks for the replies chaps...

Unfortunately no one in the UK has the correct parts for the Petrol starter, ( plenty in USA). Been told by Toyota, Milners and Roughtrax that the starter in the petrol is a different model and the bits will not fit. Srange as it's only 2 copper contacts. I assume the plunger diameter is different...

I need it sorted pronto, so I just ordered a replacement starter from Milners, and I have ordered the bits from the US which will arrive in 2-3 weeks. I'll repair the original and swap it back in as its a 2kw(cold version) starter and the Milners is a 1.4kw.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Easy thing to strip and check. Not that hard to come up with a home fix either in truth. Like you said, just big copper flats. Sometimes a decent clean is all it needs.

Oddly had to sort mine last month! Might get away with cleaning the plunger contact. I popped mine apart and it was very badly pitted, a clean up got me going (stripped it in a shopping centre car park as wouldn't start) Couldn't seem to find a rebuild kit. I put my spare on but it was still working. Easy job to get to 30 mins to change including getting tools out/packing away.

Installed the new starter, pretty quick job. Stripped the old one and the copper contacts are completely worn! Surprised it lasted this long before packing up. The new 1.4kw starter is noticeable noisier that the 2kw OEM version though, so when I get the bits from US, I will swap the old starter back in and keep this as a spare.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Back