Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter motor whirring whine

loco_ola

Country Flag
france
Hi All, hope life is sweet in the Land Cruiser world, long time no problems, but yesterday the truck didn't start.

Battery and connections all seem good, the starter motor just makes a whirring sound maybe with a little whine.

I've taken the starter motor off and to bits, it was full of clutch dust , cleaned it all up, re-put it back together but it's still got the same problem.

All the gears, and their teeth and clutch mechanism seem ok, as does the magnetic switch when I test that.

I'm guessing we've got some spinning because of the noise, so I'm a bit stuck as to the issue.

Weirdly if i carry out the last test in the handbook it doesn't spin at all, but the gear goes out?!:

PERFORM NO-LOAD PERFORMANCE TEST
(a) Connect the battery and ammeter to the starter as

shown .
(b) Check that the starter rotates smoothly and steadily

with the pinion gear moving out. Check that the am- meter shows the specified current.
Specified current:

120 A or less at 11 .5 V​

Anyone got any idea, I'm kinda loathed to buy a whole new starter motor as I know you can get all the bits and it doesnt really seem that complex! - though it is my first time to look inside one :)

Thanks for your help

Ok so I found the issue in the end. It was quite obvious when looking at part diagrams, but looking at the actual bit the surfaces were worn super smooth so they looked good!

These parts of the armature should be attached!

Skype_Picture_2019_03_22T12_34_06_892Z.jpeg

Well bu66er me!! I’ve never come across that before! Totally sheared! Surely not a Denso original part!!

I have a supplier in the UK if you need them but you’ll probably find something locally.

I’d never have figured that one!!

Yeah was a total puzzle for a while, thanks for your supplier suggestion I got Simon Holton (such a good guy!) to order a new one last week before I saw this, hopefully will be with me on Thursday so I can reassemble.

Back