Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter motor

ferris

Country Flag
uk
I've been having trouble starting with the engine just sounding a click a few times before starting, now it just s sounds a click everytime so I'm guessing its the started motor. Can anyone give me advice, pictures or links to how to replace or prepare the starter motor? Its a Prado KZJ78 3.0 SX. Engine 1KZ-TE. Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited:
Both Roughtrax and Milners do a contact repair kit for these starters, much cheaper than replacing the entire starter itself.

Thanks Trevor!
I just saw a link showing how to remove starter on a Surf, anyone have thoughts or advice or a link for the LC?

Is it an auto if not then put it in gear, take hand brake off get out and rock it backwards and forwards then try it. Sometimes just jams up

Hello Craig, yes its an auto, thanks for the tip though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Both Roughtrax and Milners do a contact repair kit for these starters, much cheaper than replacing the entire starter itself.

If you do whip the starter out and change these contacts, make sure you put a little low strength stud lock on the screw threads when you put the cover back won't you.

When I changed mine, I put everything back and it was fine. One day my radio started crackling and I drove home wondering what it was. As I pulled up lights started dipping and there was a crackle from the engine bay. I popped the bonnet and the starter motor was on fire!![emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

The back cover screws had worked loose and the whole cover had dropped off allowing the plunger to touch the live contact.

If you don't have studlock perhaps a dob of paint may do the trick (but I don't really know!).

Last edited:
Back