Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter Motor

BigFella

Country Flag
wales
Hi. Folks, my name is Roy, I am 93+years old and I have been driving my 1997 Land Cruiser Prado for many years now. This vehicle always garaged and pampered has still only covered slightly in excess of 50,000 kilometres and is immaculate inside and out and drives like a thoroughbred. Up until now she has never complained, but due to the world pandemic, plus an eighteen month rest since we can no longer travel as we like the starter motor has decide it wishes to sleep forever and refuses to move, despite the well known walloping tricks, So, hey Ho, off we go to get a replacement ( with luck ) and a bit of help to remove and replace it.
Cheers now.
Roy

Hi and welcome to the site, and I see you are only a youngster (lol) and before you need to say what you have got in profile and you are asking for a bit of help removing it, does that mean you are doing it?
before you go and get a new one In would remove it and see if you can strip it and poss do some cleaning and lubrication and suspect it will jump
back into life.
Some years ago there used to be places that would do repairs on starter motors and Alternators, but I don't know of any now but do a Google search and you might find one local to you.
Any way good luck

Hello Roy - Welcome! It is a common issue to get worn contacts in the solenoid although usually higher miles than yours. It’s an easy job to replace the contacts once you have removed the starter motor. Approx £50 for the Toyota repair kit. Mine had the issue at ~150k miles - symptoms were just getting a click when turning the key. Sometimes it would start as normal, sometimes just a click.

Back