Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter relay

Rocketdog

Country Flag
england
I can’t find the starter relay on my 96 Petrol 80 series. Anybody know where it is please. The starter isn’t disengaging and turns with ignition off! I’m thinking it’s the relay??

Not 100% sure about the petrol models but on the diesel versions the main starter solenoid and starter motor are one unit and the solenoid contacts are known to weld together giving the problem you describe. The solenoid contacts are replaceable for just a few £.

Thanks for replying Towpack. So its starter motor off job then? I wish I'd left my tools in the back now.

Again, I'm talking diesel here but the starter is very easy to get at and remove from underneath. When the unit is on the bench, accessing and changing the contacts is just as easy.

Thanks for the info. It must be the same for the petrol. ordering the kit now.

Repaired mine recently diesel version / two bolts, one on the top is hard to access but doable. Had mine on a lift so added ease.

P.s always remember to disconnect the battery terminals!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've decided to take the starter off first and have a look at it to see how much of a kit I need. There are ones on ebay for 13 quid, which are just plunger and copper parts, or rough traxs do a more comprehensive kit fo 50 odd quid.

Repaired mine recently diesel version / two bolts, one on the top is hard to access but doable. Had mine on a lift so added ease.

P.s always remember to disconnect the battery terminals!!
Thanks for the reminder

Back