Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting issues

Oosti_1

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
I recently bought a 60 series 1983 HJ60 2h diesel manual.

When I bought the car is started fine, and drove it all the way home (40 minutes) no issues.
At the moment it’s really struggling to start. When I use starter fluid it is just able to get it started, then runs fine once it’s started.
The other day I couldn’t get it working with starter fluid. What could be the issue? Glow plugs? Spark plugs? Fuel? How can I diagnose between them

I would not use too much sniffer / starting fluid as diesel engines can get addicted to it ok to use occasionally when it's minus twenty or so but not in fair weather

Replaced the fuel filter, no luck. What would be the next thing to check? the glow plug rail looks fairly new, so maybe they have been replaced recently?

Agree Steve, a mechanical thing that can develop addictions.
Back in the 70s I had a diesel transit with a Perkins engine, and it developed a starting problem in winter that no one could get to the bottom of. Easy start to the rescue, but as it required a squirt every day, when summer came around it still needed it's fix.
Even towing it produced mixed results, but one squirt and it was set up for the day
No easy start, - no engine start, so yes, be frugal with it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't know how the 60 is setup, but can you try using a jerry can instead of the fuel tank?

Make sure you wait for the second relay to click when the key is turned half way. It can take 10 to 15 seconds depending on glow plugs condition.

Once running and warm, loosen each fuel pipe at the injector to let any air escape. Tighten once just fuel dribbles out. Do one at a time and have a rag covering everything.

Is the lift pump tightly shut?

Good luck!

Picking up from Ben regarding air in system, is there a primer on top of fuel filter on a 60 you can pump up. Easy one to try, if you have that arrangement.
Good tip from Karl to make sure you have a good supply of fuel direct to the injector pump.

There is flex pipe between the fuel line from the tank pipe that connects with the feed pipe to the engine / filter /etc This flex pipe looks great from the outside but swells inside as it rots restricting the fuel flow. The pump is built into this pipe on the engine side.
The other thing that may need setting properly is the EDIC - the setting / adjustment of the bar is fairly crucial and they wear but are adjustable.

Regards,

Rodger

Back