Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting problems

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
My KZ-TE has always started with no problems. max one or two seconds before it gets going.

In the last week or two, it can take 5 seconds or so. If I let it run a little, then retry it starts no problem.

I added some injector cleaner a week or two back, which ties in with the longer starts. I've never used the stuff before.

I'm thinking its somehow related?

Could some crap in the fuel system have been shifted along and blocking an injector?

Batteries are okay.

Claire's suffers from same problem when it's cold so i'm interested in what people have to say.

I would check / change the Glow plugs before going to far looking at other things.

ignat said:
My KZ-TE has always started with no problems. max one or two seconds before it gets going.

In the last week or two, it can take 5 seconds or so. If I let it run a little, then retry it starts no problem.

I added some injector cleaner a week or two back, which ties in with the longer starts. I've never used the stuff before.

Could some crap in the fuel system have been shifted along and blocking an injector?

Batteries are okay.

Sounds like air leak. Maybe corrosion in fuel pipes (near tank is the most common problem). Maybe some tiny hole which gives air inside the pipe.

Just try turning ign to first stage and let the plugs heat up fully for say 10 seconds. Then with half throttle pressed turn the key. See if that makes a difference from cold. If it does, it's most likely your plugs. They just aren't heating up as quickly as they used to. If it doesn't then I'd suggest that they may not be heating at all. Either route leads to poor plugs.

Changing them is an easy job.

Chris

ignat said:

Batteries are okay.

Have you changed the fuel filter recently as you might of pulled some rubbish out of the fuel lines with the cleaner going through.

Joe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well giving the glow plugs a bit of a warm up before starting seems to help, but not perfect everytime. I will change the plugs and go from there.

It might be worth checking the resistance of the plugs before changing them.I´m not sure of the value as i don´t have a manual to hand - also check the glow plug relay.

There was a similar issue reported some time back on 'another' forum. It was the temp sensor that controls fuel/ air mixture when cold, which is different to the one that controls things when there is a bit of heat already in the engine. I cannot recall the exact details but that was the general jist of it. Sounds like it could be your issue too.

by 'another' you mean TLOCUK?

Hmm, did search there but will have another look. Not got around to replacing the glow plugs yet. Just ordered some from Milner.

Yes indeed. Glowplugs are also worth checking, as mentioned by others. Similar symptoms too. Not sure what you'd search for but it was maybe 10 or 12 months back.

Well I changed the glow plugs.

Resistance readings were fine. Supposed to be max 1 Ohm.

However it starts much much better now. So if the resistance readings were fine what was the problem. Out of interest, do these look normal?:

IMG_2786.JPG

Only ever dealt with spark plugs so not sure what I'm looking at there. Is that too much carbonisation?

One other thing, when switching the ignition off it shudders quite badly for a second. Will see if it improves..

ok, just checking because that can cause starting problems and a slight run-on / judder if you use too much.

To change the glow plugs I had to remove the air intake pipe.

While googling I see there might be a flap in the there to stop shudder. I assume the KZTE has the same.

The flap should be in the throttle body housing on top of the maniflold. Check it is shutting properly and not gummed up at all. KZJ90 wrote on the other forum about taking out this plate and it made his judder when turning off.

Hi guys!

Now that you mentioned it, Im experiencing the same problem at the moment. I have the KZJ78 3.0 td Prado with the KZ-TE1 engine. Always started fast and with no hick - ups, lately she takes longer to start
and I picked up the other day a little patch of diesel on the ground below the fuel tank. I did some loading of 20 concrete (600x600) concrete slabs several (3) trips and she was a bit lower to the chassis, can't think that could have
caused any damage? Corroded fuel pipe maybe.... sounds like a little weak spot under there? Is it a common problem with these cruisers?

Thank you

African Drifter

African Drifter - did you get your starting problem sorted?

Well my starting problems continue... :violin:

I've done glow plugs, batteries, fuel filter, injectors checked and no joy.

So I guess (hope) its a corroded fuel line. Will have a look, hopefully this weekend.

It certainly affected mine. The end of the pipe was like Swiss cheese. Pulling air through, clearly. Went like a dream after that and still going. Have a look with a good torch at the top of the front of the tank. If it's leaking you will see signs there. Put your hand up into the gap and wipe a sample of dirt. See if it's diesely. Dropping the tank is not a big job. But depends on the age of the vehicle as to the condition of nuts etc. You'll want some fuel hose ready and a couple of jubjub clips. It's best to empty the tank really via the drain hole. Good opportunity to clean the tea bag on the end of the pick up. There will be a black slime in there most likely.

I just sawed the end off the pipe and stuck the rubber hose on.

That is of course, if you decide to take the tank off. There isn't another way to get to the sender.

Chris

Swisschees.jpg

Attachments

• Swisschees.jpg
    Swisschees.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 90
Back