Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stealthing it in Scotland

Jacob100

Supporter
We had some business up in Newcastle last week that coincided with my 40th so we decided to carry on north and have a little drive around the Southern Hebrides. To save on fuel and ferries in the Highlands we left the Townhouse Trailer at home and packed a family of three in the back of a 100 series.

IMG-3003.JPG

I'd been looking at VW bunks for the front seats but I never liked the idea that they rest on your door panels so you can't open your doors in the middle of the night. And they're eighty quid. So I bought a Vango 4-leg camp bed for £20, chopped 15cm of each corner, popped the end caps back and strapped some pipe lagging from B&Q around the legs. It fits perfectly on the seat bolsters and sits well clear of centre console, steering wheel and all levers.

IMG-2907.JPG

In the back I made a platform of some strong packing crates that Bunnings used to sell to hold our cooking gear, sleeping bags and toiletries. Two 10cm self-inflating mats slotted right in over the boxes and the folded rear seats with plenty of headroom left. Gas, water and a small Waeco in the footwells; storage nets for clothing and loose bits in the boot; and three Plano boxes, a table and an awning on the roof.

IMG-3062.JPG

IMG-2908.JPG

The Isle of Gigha seemed like a good place to aim for - owned by the 160-strong community, full of beautiful beaches and famous for smoked halibut.

IMG-2944.JPG

Nasty weather and ferry cancellations meant it took two days to get there. The first night we stayed at the Ken Bridge Hotel near Castle Douglas. We were going to stay at their CL site by the river but after a meal of roast partridge and a few pints in the dry we gave in and rented a room upstairs. The second night we arrived in the dark and gatecrashed the campsite in Lochranza on Arran only to wake up to this view.

IMG-2967.JPG

On Gigha they had no problem with us camping FOC in the pub car park. Clearly a discerning bunch on this island.

IMG-3013.JPG

Next up we did two nights on Islay which has to be one of the most amazing places I've ever visited. The long, straight road from Bowmore to Laphroig is enough reason to come up here.

IMG-8173.JPG

Parked up at one of the world's most scenic community centres the first night and on night two camped off a track by the bay to be close to the ferry port.

IMG-8171.JPG

IMG-3097.JPG

Tuesday. Departure Islay: 09.45. Arrival Sheffield: 23.00.

IMG-8226.JPG

Fantastic. I know Loch Ken and Lochranza very well. Super looking trip. You can tell me all about it at the weekend!

Jacob 100 acres of canvas that would be your Native American name your trip looked a lot drier than a wet and windy weekend in stratford so Raph got to get in the front after all that was a good bit of thinking for a few quids and lovely photos of some time well spent

Good pics. I like the truck, Looks good with out the running boards/side steps.. I always thought the Colorado looked better with out them.... Anyways lovely part of the world up there....

I love Scotland and it’s scenery, and if I had to make a list of things I miss by not living in the UK anymore, easy access to Scotland and other beautiful parts of the UK would be close to the top.

Bad weather aside, it takes a lot of beating.

Impressed with the compromises of sleeping in the truck, especially with kids, a brave move indeed, but it seems to be working out of sorts.

Enjoy!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like you visited some great spots, still haven’t got down that way for camping yet but it’s on the list

Thanks everyone. Yes, there’s definitely something about Scotland. What strikes me every time is a refreshing feeling of openness and common sense. Can’t wait to head back up there.

Back