Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steaming up when raining…

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
I’ve noticed my car is Steaming up when raining…I’ve not looked at anything yet, but can’t see any wet patches in the carpets. Is it most likely to be the sunroof drains or are there other common areas to look at, and if so what?

Not sure if it’s relevant but my car doesn’t have working air con as I’ve replaced pretty much the whole system and it’s still leaking so it’s back to the garage next week to find and fix the problem there - don’t know if that would cause the car to steam up?

thanks

Iv never had working air con in any Land cruiser iv owned. and never had steaming up issues, Check all around the car for wet carpets, Especially the boot area, My missus car was steaming up bad, Then i discovered 6 inch of water under the spare wheel in the boot.. Quick poke with a screwdriver, water gone, and no more steaming up... Water finds a way

Thanks higgy will go out now there’s a break in the rain and have a look at the carpets all round

just been through the pain of replacing all the aircon parts after finding leak after leak each part that was replaced and it held the gas for a week…leaving it uncomfortable for a week in France!

Where are you seeing the condensation? The window its at might give a clue.

Check the windscreen scuttle and the drains underneath. Have a look in the holes by the wipers with a torch - you can often see if water is pooling up in there; if so it will find its way in. Its not a big job to take the scuttle off and clear/check the drains and make sure its all OK - I do that once a year - otherwise you end up with leaves and all sorts of shite in there.

Check the sun roof drains as you say - I use a line from a garden strimmer to clear mine out!

The rubber bits on the roof under the roof bars - check they're all in place and water isn't getting under those and finding its way in via the roof bar bolts.

Check the door rubbers look OK, including the one around the back door.

Check the window seals - the rubbers are now quite old on these cars. I had the same problem and replaced all the lower outer window trims all around, and that fixed it.

Thanks karl

it is the windscreen and the rear doors/boot side windows. Had 4 in the car so not sure if it was the bodies in there heating it up?

will check all the bits you’ve said - if it was the roof bar bolt holes would it show wet patches on the roof or channel down to the carpets?

Does it mist up when its raining, and nobody is in the car? If so thats a sign of a leak.

You might get damp patches on the roof it just depends what route the water finds.

TBH though, any car is likely to mist up on a wet day if its full of people and there is no aircon on to dry the air out!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not that I’ve noticed but I’ve only paid attention to it with being in it whilst raining - not done that for a while. I’m hoping it’s that and once (if) the air con is fixed it will be sorted

No wet patches on the carpets and sunroof drains look clear and got strimmer wire down them no problem.

will get air con sorted this week and see if it is just that

Attachments

• C6A1FCC6-F7CB-4FA9-9FC5-48087C93C2EF.jpeg
    C6A1FCC6-F7CB-4FA9-9FC5-48087C93C2EF.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DE7E1335-39B9-432A-91E1-58F45F6B54CA.jpeg
    DE7E1335-39B9-432A-91E1-58F45F6B54CA.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 41
You'll probably be OK once the air con is sorted, I wouldn't worry unless it steams up when theres nobody in it.

In the mean time if thers people in it, crack a window that should sort it too.

I had my air con all pressure tested and filled up with all the right stuff, Leak tested, and all the nonsense that goes with it, Got in the Truck , Lovely ice cold air con... It lasted about 2hrs... All the gas had gone and every thing back to lukewarm normal..... So iv never bothered since..... Fuck 'em'

Karl - maybe just an excuse to drive alone - more peaceful without kids

Higgy - I need the aircon working. My wife told me so when it was 30 degrees without it! Been thinking about changing the car for a newish xc90 to get rid of the age related issues but can’t bring myself to do it just yet

I know Karl but looked for ages for this one that only had surface rust underneath and a clean mot history. I’ve done all the age related niggles on it so don’t want to regret getting rid of it…but I have a voice in the passenger seat telling me I don’t need a trucky thing like a land cruiser….don’t know which would be cheaper to get rid of…

Back