Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steel wheels

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
I have a set of 60 series split rims. The width and offset are perfect for a project I am doing however I don't want to run with inner tubes. Did the 60 come with normal wheels that were the same size as the split rims?

Cheers

Ian

Yes Ian they did. They all had the same wheels as standard, a six spoke design 6jx14 painted at first then chromed later,85 onwards. HiLuxes used the same wheels for a long time in the 80's. I believe the HiLux wheels fitted on Mud have the same dimensions just a different design. The split rim wheels are more than likely 40 series wheels or off an import as the only time I have seen them on a 60 was on the Autocar test car in 1980, but they do fit and give a 60 a certain look.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-HY...r+Make:Toyota|Model:Hilux&hash=item35c38dbe6e

These are the ones.

Andy

Thanks Andy. The splits I have are 16" and appear to be zero offset. Not sure if they are 5.5" or 6" wide. I don't have any of the Hilux rims that were on Mud left, cannot remember if they were 6" or 6.5".

Do you happen to know if the rims in the eBay ad will be 6" and zero offset?

Cheers

Ian

Sorry Ian the 6Jx14 should have said 6Jx16. Don't know what I was thinking. I have both types of wheel and will measure them in a bit and let you know.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Build thread looming then??? :drool:
No, it's not an interesting fixer upper at this stage. There might be some interesting developments a bit later but nothing beyond basic mechanicals at this stage.

Ian

To drag this thread back to the wheels. I have just checked and my split rims are 5.5" wide. Looking on ToyoDIY it seems that the normal rims for a 60 are 5.5x16 split rims, 6x16 or 7x15 normal rims.

Ian

Just been and measured. The 60 six spoke and the split rims appear to be the same offset,ie the distance across the outer rim down to the stud holes is the same.
the later wheels were about an inch less.
Hope this helps.

Andy

I haven't got a split rim off a vehicle to compare wheel widths but you are probably right, they may well be half an inch narrower, I just hadn't noticed.

Andy

Thanks Andy. So to recap, the rims in the eBay ad you posted are the same offset as the split rims but the rims that were fitted to Mud are about an inch different.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Hilux 16" rims wouldn't fit on my HJ60 wrong offset
J6-J7 offset 0
J8 13
Hilux 30
good to know

Back