Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering arm bush replacement

toafrica

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi Guys,

I dropped off the planet for a fair while, but I'm back now, and have some advice needed please.
The cruiser is creaking a fair bit now when I turn the steering wheel while stationary, and the MOT guys told me that I need the bushes replaces, and I have looked at them, and they are in a fairly sorry state to be honest, but after reading fridaymans story on how he battled to replace bushes I don't have the time or tools to do this myself.
Does anyone have an idea of what I should expect to pay for a bush replacement? I didn't like the figure I got from the Toyota main dealer!!

Any guideline would be well received.

Cheers
Andrew

Re: Sttering arm bush replacement

The steering rack bushes are not that tricky to be honest (especially if you go for Superpro bushes rather than Milners bushes - if you fit poly...). It is the lower control arm bushes that are a proper barsteward to change.

Good Lord! You certainly have been away some time.

Yes, steering rack bushes fairly easy, but wishbone bushes are a pain. Which do you mean exactly Andrew - it's not very clear. There isn't really a steering arm bush. Well, there isn't a steering arm actually.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yeah been a longggg time, too long.....

Basically whats happening is when the steering wheel is turned it is creaking a lot, you are right, I meant the steering rack - well thats what the Toyota dealer said needing doing. Would it just be the steering rack that could be the problem, or is it worthwhile getting the whole lot changed do you think?

Hopefully I'll be at one of the get-togethers again soon....

Cheers
Andrew

There are three bushes to be replaced. A morning's work. Sure it's covered on here somewhere. Someone will remember the link I'm sure. Might be a sticky...
Don't bother with a dealer. They are not a Toyota part. They'll sell you a whole rack.

Gathering in October.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Job done, got my local garage to do it in the end, so total cost was £40 for bushes, and £105 labour to get them fitted - a fair bit cheaper than the £1800 Toyota quoted me...

Back