Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering column rake adjuster

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
After taking my dash apart as I've done in numerous occasions without problem, this time once it was back, the steering felt loose. Traced it to the rake adjustment that I had moved to get the panel out from behind, which was allowing the steering wheel to bob up and down by a fraction making an audible knock and moving as I steered. This I found really annoying so after wiggling the adjustment lever didn't work I decided to have a look.

Took the plastic surround off from behind the steering wheel by undoing the 5 screws from underneath. This revealed two quadrants, one either side, with teeth on them and two arms with teeth that get pushed against the quadrants. All worked by the side adjusting lever connected to some sheet metal stampings a with tracks cut into them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453048720.919696.jpg
Left side

You can just see the stamping behind the toothed arm.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453048814.749398.jpg
Right side

On the first photo, it turns out the arm with the spring in the foreground, is a final lock. This was not engaging because the arms were stopping just shy of their final position. All the last mm of return being taken care of by springs.

So, I decided to clean off the old gloopy grease and spray some new in (the only stuff I had was white grease but I figured this should be ok). I loosened off the pivot bolt at the top of the lower photo and sprayed grease into the pivot and tightened it back up. All the time it was loose, it worked faultlessly, tighten it and it became reluctant again.

Note, there is an adjustment to the right hand side so that the meshing of the teeth on both sides can be lined up (nice touch Mr T[emoji4]). I tried adjusting this but still no joy when all pulled up tight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453049387.422442.jpg

The adjuster is the hexagon shaped chrome looking piece just a bit below the nut.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453049272.329832.jpg

Final lock in unlocked position (wobbles)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453049305.481805.jpg

Final lock in fully locked position as it should be.

After much deliberation, I decided the thing worked best of the nut was left slightly loose, so, reluctantly, I swapped the 6mm nut for a self locking 'nylock' nut and did it up till it wouldn't work and backed it off a smidge. It all works fine now.

Ok, I know it's not used every day but I figured if it got moved again and didn't settle back properly then there's that super annoying movement in the steering back to be a distraction.

Hope this helps if anyone encounters this problem as it wasn't too bad a job once I found what needed doing.

So what was it in the removal of the dash that caused the problem?

Just me lowering the steering wheel to give more room to remove the fascia panel Chas. It's always behaved before. In fact it would have given this problem if I had simply adjusted the rake without doing any work on the dash.

Ah! I thought you had dislodged something in the removal.

No, I thought it was just the grease got a bit hard in there but maybe there's an expansion/ contraction issue due to temperature as I've always fiddled in the better weather. Not sure really. Seems a bit odd that the final lock is engaged by just a spring though.

Last edited:
I used to use the lowest setting, but since I have a seat fitted now, I'm on the next position up. It used to have play, now it's rigid. (Ooh er)

maybe be I had the same issue Rich...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like you might have Clive. Annoying isn't it?

Sounds like you might have Clive. Annoying isn't it?

Yes it was. Although after a quick look, when I realized that there were no safety issues, I managed to ignore it.

Now it's as firm as.... well a firm thing, that's not wobbly. (Ooh er again:lol:)

Hi there 80 series, some days the electric Windows are so slow they sometimes need a hand to close, any suggestions

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

New rubbers Codsy, there's a thread or two on here, very easy to replace.

Hi again can't find the thread

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back