Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering damper and lift kit question

Dave_S

Hi guys

Running a +2 inch Pedder kit on the 80 series, inc upgraded steering damper. We were looking at the steering yesterday and noticed that the damper seems to have been binding against the track bar, presumably on articulation. the truck is used predominantly on the road, so this isn't extreme axle stuffing I'm talking about, just normal articulation under driving.

So - question - has anyone else suffered from this or is it unique to us (or the Pedder kit maybe... as the steering damper does seem much bigger diameter than the factory unit).

Any thoughts very welcome - if anyone would be kind enough to put up a photo of how their damper sits, even better.

Thanks all :)

I purchased my 80 series last year and it has a 3 inch lift, when I was getting it ready for RWC I was told to change the steering damper as it had a flat side where it was obviously was touching the track bar, but since I have changed it there is nothing noticeable ( I believe the previous owner used quite a large tyre size than the 33's that I'm using now) I just purchased one from Burson's that suits my vehicle.

Cheers Tim - what did you replace it with? OE equivalent? I don't know that company..

Dave, it says Maxi Trac (I'm guessing brand) then Nitro 4x4 on it. Hope that helps.

Can you swap it the other way around or is it already thinnest end near the bind?
I have to ask.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chris, just looking at that now... haven't pulled it off yet... can't remember, but isn't there a taper on one end?

A photo would be helpful. I’m contemplating going out to look at mine to see the damper’s proximity to other components.

AFAIK, I’ve not had these issues. My damper is an OME product, OME SD 24

Back