Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Rack Leak can it be fixed ?

Shayne

Guru
Bushes need replacing to and i can find no mention of this repair on the web so shall i go for a new rack ?

Steering Rack 190.JPG

Steering Rack 191.JPG

I did the bushes on my old 95's steering rack but I didn't need to touch the pump. There is a online tutorial about it. I'll have a look for the link when I get in front of my lap top if it hasn't been answered on here.
I think a new rack was around £700 from Mr T, my rack was clicking but the pump wasn't leaking like yours. Took a chance it was the bushes, so £40 from roughtrax sorted it.

Cheers

Richie

Cheers Bodhi your post made me look again and notice the pump is a separate part . Unfortunately mrT doesn't sell it separately though so the choice is £300ish from Roughtrax for the full rack , bushes and tie rod ends which despite not being genuine does at least come from someone with a reputation to protect , or , a new pump from some bloke in China for £35ish :think:

That thing is called the actuator (it's not the pump) from memory and there is a rebuild kit for it comprising of some very thin O rings. It often seems to go after fitting a lift kit. If the steering rod isn't quite floaty enough it seems that the actuator takes a bit of a kicking leading to it leaking. Pretty sure someone did do a thread on the repair.

Thanks Chris just knowing what its called helps . Roughtrax does a repair kit of some kind and had assumed it was for the pump on engine , i better look again .

Last edited:
I seem to recall that there are 4 thin sort of ceramic rings and a rubber one. I changed the rubber one and that fixed it. The ceramic ones looked a bit challenging. Now, I am sure I still have them in the packet after all these years. See what RT have etc and you might be sorted but if it comes down to having to get the lot from Mr T at silly money I can send you these. But like I said, you probably only need the seal

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What i seen was for the pump and not what i need i don't think but very similar to what you describe Chris , can anyone open the PDF file in the description ? http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/power-steering-pump-overhaul-seal-kit.html

I was talking to our Simon today just to make payment for an earlier order and he thought a new rack was the way to go . It wasn't a specific question but he did say he had my truck details in front of him ?

Any idea where you got the bits ?

Last edited:
New rack?????

Nah that's not the kit Shayne. I got the bits direct from Mr T in Chesterfield. Long time ago.

It's called the control valve. My mistake. You can see all the bits here.

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 19.14.38.jpg

Excellent now we are getting somewhere , i do like the idea of just changing the rubber bit i will do some googling but i'm already hoping Simon knows which one is the rubber one , unless i can trouble you that much further ?

44210C is the one that leaks I think. You can see the 4 other rings lower down. It was a VERY long time ago.

44201F is described as a seal so at least i have a choice to present Simon with , thank you for your help much appreciated :thumbup:

I was very disappointed in the RT replacement recon racks. I probably have a post about it on here somewhere.

I rebuilt the actuator on Fiery, 4 thin rings and an oil seal top and bottom all gen Toyota. Wasn't too expensive, a bit tricky getting the actuator out as you have to lever the coupling to bulkhead section up to try and gain enough room to pull actuator from the rack. Once out the rebuild is reasonably easy but you must make sure the 4 rings sit correctly in the grooves as they have a long and short side.

Refitting the actuator won't push home due to the cut of the worm gear, last 10mm was walked in by tightening the two bolts bit by bit (ally body so danger of snapping the lugs) until it pops in with a clunk.

I did this while the engine was out, I imagine it'll be a pig to get out with limited space.

When I brought my truck i got it cheap from a car auction as it had no power steering as the rack was leaking badly. It looked like a recon rack about year old max.

I paid £80 delivered for one from a breakers 5 years ago and it's still perfect. I would rather buy another steering rack from a breakers yard than a recon rack.

I can send you an address and tell number for a good breakers if you want Shayne

Reading between the lines here it seems a breakers rack is better than a reconditioned rack and a self repaired rack is better than both .

If this bloody weather doesn't let up though i won't be having a go myself and i don't trust any local garage to do the repair properly even if they will charge the earth , sooo i might have to take a punt at Roughtrax new rack and pay a garage to fit it .

I would wait the weather out because its not actually causing any problems as yet but i will be visiting someone 500 miles away over the hols so i'm not sure that's a good idea .

Just take some power steering fluid with you :icon-rolleyes:

Back