Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering rack leaking

guruvetim

Country Flag
zimbabwe
My power steering rack has developed a leak from the top where the steering column joins the rack.

Has anyone else on the forum had this problem?

I've attached a picture but it isn't very clear.

It seems to be leaking from under the rubber dust cover.

fbcd4931-f5cb-4afa-bec6-67365c910af1.jpg

My power steering rack has developed a leak from the top where the steering column joins the rack.

Has anyone else on the forum had this problem?

I've attached a picture but it isn't very clear.

It seems to be leaking from under the rubber dust cover.

View attachment 162083
Hi,

It's prob a seal worn out, you may have mentioned before, what year is your 100?

That's where they all go , you can repair it but if caught early enough adding something like this to fluid might give you a few more years respite
61crv0m9IPL._SL1000_.jpg

Hi,

It's prob a seal worn out, you may have mentioned before, what year is your 100?

It's a 1998 with 240,oookm

I've lifted the rubber dust cover up and there's a little pool of fluid sitting in the top so pretty sure is a seal so might as well get the kit.

I think I've found the seal kit I need and it's not expensive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04455600...573638&hash=item2a78845bd1:g:6WEAAOSwpsBcbTDq

I'll probably order direct from Partsouq as there are one or two other bits I'd like to get.

That's where they all go , you can repair it but if caught early enough adding something like this to fluid might give you a few more years respite View attachment 162084

Cheers Shayne

I wonder how early is early enough.. I think I'll go with the seal kit and repair, I've got a good mechanic here in Harare and I'm sure he'll manage if I get the parts.

It's a 1998 with 240,oookm

I've lifted the rubber dust cover up and there's a little pool of fluid sitting in the top so pretty sure is a seal so might as well get the kit.

I think I've found the seal kit I need and it's not expensive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04455600...573638&hash=item2a78845bd1:g:6WEAAOSwpsBcbTDq

I'll probably order direct from Partsouq as there are one or two other bits I'd like to get.
Exactly what I was going to suggest, the only reason I asked about the year was that the rack was changed in 2003, I think, but it may only have been the mounting points that are different between the two racks.

Although I think the Wynn's would be a good idear, it would always bug me that I hadn't fixed it properly.

Also, it might be worth thinking about buying the complete seal repair kit for the rack, I think the PN is 0444560080 for your year, but check it out for your self, it's also a bit more expensive.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted, and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry for the lack of updates... The seal kit did the job

I had the same problem from the same place, comparing the cost of an overhaul kit from Toyota and a new genuine rack from Dubai i decided to go with the new Toyota part. Delivered from Dubai in under a week all in about £1000.00 finishing off the fitting today.

That's quite a bill, but you'll know it's done properly.

The seal kit is still doing the job though.

Also, wow I've just noticed from my previous comment I've only done 6000km since October 2017... must get out in the Cruiser more.

Back