Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Rack

lc 120

Country Flag
uk
My gaiter/boot is leaking on the rack which I am told usually means a replacement steering rack, just been on to Rough Track but their offering is made in China so don't fancy that, Milners do not stock one for a 2004 so does anyone know of a place that sells them for a reasonable price and are not made in China?

I assume it's leaking power steering pump fluid ? Years ago you could buy all seals for power assisted racks and they were straight forward to recon.

Looks like they do a kit on Toyodiy but not exactly clear what is included. My interpretation is that all are included.

I fitted a Roughtrax rack figuring even China don't mess about when people might die :think: maybe they would :shock: nevermind i will sue roughtrax if i die :)

Can't see any difference from the original and i can steer offroad or through rivers using only my little finger on the wheel , time will tell but i can't fault it as yet .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Be careful with non Toyo racks. Lot of crap chinese rubbish out there.
The Toyo racks are quite a heavy construction with very large and heavy rods out each side which are running in nylon sleeves. Corrugations bounce the heavy rods up and down and eventually the nylon sleeves/bushes wear away and the fluid pours out.
The boots hold all the fluid from the reservoir so you don't necessarily see fluid leaking on the ground whilst the system is running dry. That can result in the steering pump also failing but will usually hear that as its a quite loud squeal.
Swapping out the rack is a pig of a job and you are looking at some 4-6 hours labor from your mechanic, DIY on the side of the track is considerably longer...

I fitted a Roughtrax rack figuring even China don't mess about when people might die.....cant see any difference from the original and i can steer offroad or through rivers using only my little finger on the wheel , time will tell but i can't fault it as yet .
Hi Shayne. Do you still rate the roughtrax unit?

I'm happy to recommend it Bert , if buying it again , and i would , with the benefit of hindsight i would probably paint the hydraulic lines before fitting it , but hey its been on the truck maybe 4 or 5 years ?

I'm happy to recommend it Bert , if buying it again , and i would , with the benefit of hindsight i would probably paint the hydraulic lines before fitting it , but hey its been on the truck maybe 4 or 5 years ?
Cheers Shane, that's good to know. I was deliberating about buying a new one, or getting the original rebuilt.

Cost is the only difference theres not much to fail in a steering rack , either way the frustrating part is removing and replacing it which isn't difficult just time consuming .

Even more time consuming trying to do it in the garden in the rain!

Iv had mine repaired & all the seals & bits are available from the main dealers - this is on a 95 so I'm not,sure if it's the same for a 120??

There you go, all the parts for a rebuild of a 2004 100 steering rack, from Partsouq with shipping, not sure how this price would hold up against a stealer without shipping and import fees though.

0444560090 GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING GEAR(FOR RACK & PINION) 64.57 GBP
0445560050 GASKET KIT, POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE OVERHauL 22.55 GBP

4553560010 BOOT, STEERING RACK, x2 9.06 GBP each

Shipping total: 14.55 GBP

Price total: 119.80 GBP

The 4 bushes marked 'N1' are available separately from Superpro, they are a bit awkward to fit with the rack in place, but you get instructions and I managed to fit them a few years ago, made the steering better.

Would be very easy to fit with the rack out.

Hope this helps :)

P.S Forgot to say, keep yer eyes open for a used one, they come up on Fleabay now and again, be careful as the earlier 100 racks have a different mounting than the 2004, I think it's from 98 to 2002, if I could find one I might be tempted to recon both, fit one back on my LC and then sell the other as a recon unit, that's if there's a demand for a recon rack.

upload_2019-10-1_19-2-41.png

upload_2019-10-1_19-11-28.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get the rack out of my 2000 100 series 4.2 1HD-FTE so any tips will be appreciated. Thankyou

Back