Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering what’s my options

Hemi

Country Flag
great_britain
Gents next thing on the list is steering as it’s just getting worse , what are my options apart from referrbing my old steering box or do other boxes off other Toyota models fit ?

I would try flushing the pump out (blowing it out) and giving it a good clean up. There should be 4 bolts on top, undo those and you should be able to see a few of the inside components. Don't clean it out with water as it may cause water stains to build up clogging up your pump. Try using more steering fluid (I know it's a waste but worth a shot). Quick question. Does it make a grinding droning noise when you steer?

Gents next thing on the list is steering as it’s just getting worse , what are my options apart from referrbing my old steering box or do other boxes off other Toyota models fit ?
What is getting worse? Is there play / noise / notchiness / stiff to turn ??

I changed the pump and box today and it’s like driving a car that actually steers without the white knuckle ride huge difference

A steering box from a 80 series will fit and offers an improvement over the original.

Hi I have the same problem with my 07 D4D. After reading a couple of posts on here I lifted her up and changed the power steering fluid, bled the system, and soaked all ball joints plus steering column swivel joints in WD40.
The results were amazing. Best it had been in my ownership. However, this was short lived. (4 months). I am very reluctant to take the car to any old grease monkey as I do not want to be stuck with paying for unnecessary repairs. I would still like to know of any garage / mechanic near me that knows their way around a Land Cruiser. As my days scrabbling around under motors are far limited to what they were.
I am reasonably close to junction 6 on the M25 and would be greatly appreciative of any help.
Many thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Without a shadow of a doubt. However, I still need a reliable tech that’s not going to instantly try and sell me a new rack.
I actually tried to ring Jemca Toyota earlier and as soon as I mentioned the year of the vehicle they weren’t interested.

Dealers don't like these old motors, they just want apprentices doing oil changes on a yaris

As per Karl, and the dealers charge normal 'qualified' sky high rates for apprentice work.
I'm not sure even main stealers understand or know how these older vehicles work, especially if they don't have plug it in diagnosis ports.

I have said this in the past on here but my local Toyota dealer are very helpful and regularly look after my 60 and give me reduced labour rates , they have two mechanics that worked on these when new and are a great help , have you tried your local dealer ?

Yes. As I said Jemca Toyota are my two nearest main dealers and the closest one wasn’t interested.

I feel a bit out on my own as far as the LCC are concerned as it seems that I am the only member in my entire area. Twice I have asked for local support and it seems like there isn’t any.

I had the WORST experience of my life at Jemca Croydon. I bought a "faultless approved LC" from them. I made a list of all the faults I had to put right together with my bill for £2000 parts which they paid. With the rubber gaiters you can use a syringe full of grease, get it beneath the gaiter and swell it up a bit.

Back