Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering wheel slop

Sumo2

Country Flag
united_states
Happy to find the forum here, just about to start a long trip, and discovered that my '96 FJ80 has suddenly developed a rather worrying amount of free play-slop in the steering wheel. I did a search here and saw some posts about adjusting the steering box, but wanted to see if there's any new info and images anyone could share on doing this right, as I leave on Tuesday early and will be on the trails for a couple of weeks, and don't want to rush busting anything!

I think that Frank did a full tutorial on this. It's probably in the sticky section for the 80 series

I believe that's the one I read, it was from 2014, but I was hoping to get some visuals and some updates.

Well there isn't any new info due to the fact that this is how you do it. There's not a great deal to the procedure

So I found out, I tightened the screw half a turn and it’s gone from 1950’s Massey Ferguson to 1990’s BMW e30

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Most of the play develops in the mid range of the steering box. Full lock positions are pretty unworn. The adjustment adjusts the whole range of the box, not just the mid range, so if the play is taken out of the mid range the full lock positions may be too tight. Best to check by jacking the front axle up and making sure the steering does not bind anywhere in it's range.

I'm having the same issue. I've followed Frank's guide to the T a few times time now. It works for a bit but then goes back to to being sloppy. I've changed tie rod ends and can't find any apparent play anywhere. Is there anything in the steering rack that might cause this?

I would drain and check the condition of the power steering oil. If it's dirty and perhaps with metal swarf that points to rapid wear in the steering box. Worn out in other words. I understand some boxes move due to cracks on the mounting part of the chassis so that needs checking out.

Back