Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sticky/stubborn elec windows

THL

Country Flag
europe
All electric windows really struggle to get up and down fully, particularly in cold weather for some reason. I've dumped the best part of a can of silicone spray into all the channels which has alleviated the worst of it but its far from sorted. The next step is to have the door cards off and clean the channels, is this worth doing or is it best to bite the bullet and replace all window channel seals?

Thanks

Last edited:
Better buying new motors. The problem is that over time, the motor bushes wear and damage to the teeth on the regulator follows. Also as the strips get older and harder, the cycle of wear increases. Here we can get copy part motors cheap. It cure the problem in a heartbeat. It's no good putting new rubbers on worn motors.

:text-+1:
Though I haven’t yet replaced the Motors, I have done the rubbers and all manner of slippery fluids (don’t bother with Ballistol unless you want the car to smell bad) and none work. Yes, the new rubbers make a huge difference when they are first put in and they are obviously softer but after a while and some wet weather they’re back almost to square one.

So if you want the solution buy the new mechs from Milners, which are pattern parts, before you take the door cards off.

I really must get round to fitting mine! :think:

Thanks Chris, I was hoping to get away with cleaning rather than replacing motors.

Cheers
They aren’t silly money from Milners. Trust me I’ve been through it all, cleaning, silicone, Ballistol, and rubbers which made the only appreciable difference but it’s short lived.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The bonus is that you get the whole regulator. Wait til you take your old ones out. Have a look at the teeth.

Well I should check for wear before you buy. My windows had done 160k/1996 but did not work. I took the assemblies off this year and guess what.....no grease visible but the teeth were perfect. Whilst there I cleaned the commutators which were black but unworn. Then I used about 1 cup full of grease per side and smothered all friction parts with grease. Now both fronts are perfect even with the old/original channels. I bought the 80 in 1999 with only about 30k on the clock but the windows have never been any good. Now really happy with the result. Just my particular story. All that grease should keep friction surfaces lubricated for a good while.

Ill certainly be taking mine apart for a post removal inspection. When I get round to fitting the mechs that is.

A couple of things to make life easier if you are taking the door cards off

https://www.joom.com/en/products/5bff456028fc710101404fad

https://www.joom.com/en/products/1514515781684060300-135-1-709-2956523636

The delivery can take 2-3 weeks but stuff always comes,and it’s the same as you will buy from eBay, keep an eye on the prices as lots of items will go on their 1 hr discounts. The price shown is delivered

Cheers

Thanks, I already have a set of trim tools but the trim panel clip are a good shout. I imagine they're easy to break :tonguewink:

To add to all of the above, the rollers on the regulators develop play and can jam up. New replacement regulators have sliders instead.

Back